I.O.P Night fishing 5/18

A buddy and I decided to try a little night fishing on Saturday. Headed to IOP around 9:00pm and found a spot around 32nd street. Weather was mild and the beach was empty except for a couple teenagers going at it a block down. We started off catching whiting. then I hooked this thing which I think is a small Permit. Finished off by catching a large bluefish and a couple of big whiting. All released to fight another day.
http://s1173.photobucket.com/user/NautiBoh/media/permit_zps02f821de.jpg.html

I appologize if the picture is screwed up. I’m having issues with photobucket.

That’s a pompano. People in FL use sand fleas to catch them. Very good eating great that you let him swim off.

Thanks for help with the ID. I wasn’t sure if it was a Permit or Pompano. It had pink lips so I was leaning toward it being a permit. I’ve never caught one in the surf. It was a fun fight on light tackle. At first I thought it was a small whiting and then it realized it was hooked and took off. I practice catch and release when fishing nearshore. I’ll keep an occasional trout or redfish but prefer to let them go on their way. Thanks again for help with the ID.

If two wrongs don’t make a right, try three.

Nice pompano for our waters. Only caught 1 last year around that size and released him also.