What is an "oyster rake"?

Is it where water flows over an oyster bed, or a shell point of some sort? For the life of me I can’t figure out what this is and how it differs from oyster beds in general. thanks

That is correct. Just a mound of oysters.

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com | www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com

Fish love em.

www.baturinphotography.com

oyster hump…oyster rake…oyster bar…no…they dont serve shots or cold beer :slight_smile: people refer to stretches of live oysters along a bank or can be a raised area of mudd covered with oysters… as ricky said…fish love them when you see them they will usually have a little drop in front…if it is a raised "hump or mound…may have a little drain or "ditch " running behind it…fish like to school around these…esp on low tide…

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

They are the under water things that you hit and cut up the bottom of your boat when you try to cut the corner:smiley::smiley::face_with_head_bandage:

hhaaaahhaaaaa

so Mr. Easy…was this you???

JK :slight_smile:

that person picking oysters

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

Not me Penny! I can find enough stuff to cut up my Gel Coat without that:smiley: That is a nice mess of oysters right there though.

mmmhmmm…fish a little then have lunch on the half shell…then fish some more :)…mmmmmm

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

That is a too pretty of a boat to be that close to all them oysters. Bout time you got it all anchored up someone would come through about 50 MPH and wake you right up on um![:0]

he slammed that pretty boat right up on those oysters…you could hear the oysters carving their name in it…and he didnt care

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

:smiley: I’ll bet he cared when he got that boat on the trailer and looked at it[:0]:face_with_head_bandage::wink: He cared when the dealer gave him the repair bill:wink:

love gigging with my daddy…buthate it when we push over oysters even if its in his old boat. :slight_smile: like dragging a nail down a chalk board

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

Well, I don’t know about you, but the best lessons I ever learned are the ones I’ve paid $$$$ for. Don’t cut the corner, is one!

or lay a rod down in the boat after you cast the line …lol

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

quote:
Originally posted by penfishn

mmmhmmm…fish a little then have lunch on the half shell…then fish some more :)…mmmmmm

Done this. One day, for a fishing trip with just my son and I, My wife packed us two PB&J sandwiches, two bananas, a half sleeve of Ritz crackers, and a big handful of dried fruit trail mix. My 4 year old at ALL of it. I literally had nothing for lunch, so I showed my son “how to eat rocks”.

There’s just something manly about busting open a rock and eating what’s inside.

“Sire, it belongs in truth to the Church of God, in whose name I speak, to endure blows and not to inflict them. But it will also please your Majesty to remember that she is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.”…Theodore Beza

quote:
Originally posted by Redfish_matt
quote:

Done this. One day, for a fishing trip with just my son and I, My wife packed us two PB&J sandwiches, two bananas, a half sleeve of Ritz crackers, and a big handful of dried fruit trail mix. My 4 year old at ALL of it. I literally had nothing for lunch, so I showed my son “how to eat rocks”.

There’s just something manly about busting open a rock and eating what’s inside.

“Sire, it belongs in truth to the Church of God, in whose name I speak, to endure blows and not to inflict them. But it will also please your Majesty to remember that she is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.”…Theodore Beza

2 bananas on the boat during a fishing trip?! You obviously didn’t catch any fish…

: a long-handled rake usu. with curved teeth for gathering oysters in water of moderate depth

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

quote:
Originally posted by bonecrusher
quote:
Originally posted by Redfish_matt
quote:

2 bananas on the boat during a fishing trip?! You obviously didn’t catch any fish…

Banana myth is busted. I, or rather my 4 year old son, named our boat Banana Pants. It catches lots of fish.

Or maybe it’s just the actual bananas that does it. Haven’t tried that. But figured a yellow boat with a green top named Banana Pants was about as bad as it could get.:sunglasses:

“Banana Pants”
Indigo Bay 170
90 Johnson

Bonzo…you got game this morning :). You trying to make us look bad? Lol

I don’t believe the banan myth either… WAS talking to daddy once about it and he said they always said watermelon was the culprit :wink:

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

Easy is dead on - what you hit when you cut corners! I was cruising to/from Morris a couple of weeks ago during a very low tide and saw some rakes that I didn’t realize were there. Was a good reminder to be disciplined about swinging wide around those points…and going a little slower!