Poor man's downrigger?

Was reading an article about kings and the guy was talking about using a poor man's downrigger.
Anyone used one of these?

Would it work to take about 50 feet of downrigger line, tie it off to a gunnel cleat, attached the weight ball, attach a release clip 3 feet or so above the ball, drop the ball down to the desired depth, run the bait from the clip about 40 feet ( or whatever distance) behind the ball?
What are the problems you run into with this idea?

2014 Key West 203DFS
1987 Landau
Replies

• <<
  • <
  • of 2 pages
Anyone have a pic of one they've done
Shower curtain rings are plastic..Do they end up in the water..? We need less of that garbage in the Ocean.
Originally posted by Redstripe

Shower curtain rings are plastic..Do they end up in the water..? We need less of that garbage in the Ocean.

Use the metal shower clips. Like the ones people use to attach a towel to golf back. Or large snap swivels.
Good luck finding sash weights nowadaysbigsmile
Originally posted by Easy

Good luck finding sash weights nowadaysbigsmile

If you do find some they will cost you. Go ahead and get a downriggers ball. This actually works very well.
I used the largest planer I could find vs a down rigger ball. Goes deeper sooner. I’d also reccomend getting an old school hand line reel...it’s nothing more than a circular piece of plastic to coil the line onto. It’ll save your hands fo sho!

"NICE REPORT" LIKKA LOGGA
MY HERO!!!!
We use paper clips and rubber bands with a planer.
Last edited by Rusty Duck

• <<
  • <
  • of 2 pages