Shakespeare Surf Stik

Hi everyone. I’m new to the page and looking for some info. I’m going to Edisto for a week long family vacation/fishing trip 5/28-6/3. This will be my first time surf fishing so I’m pretty pumped about it.

I intend to cast from the beach and would like to target fish worth eating (sheepshead, reds, whiting, etc.) and small sharks. I’ll pickup all my tackle once I get to Edisto, as I’d rather give my money to the local shops than the big box stores.

Anyways, does anyone here own or have experience with the Shakespeare Surf Stik? I just bought 2 of the combos. Size 50 spinning reel with a 9’, 2 piece, medium-heavy rod. These are the rods with the internal sand spike.

They weren’t very expensive ($50 each), so I’m not expecting them to be top of the line. Just curious if anyone has an opinion on them. I think they are a newer line by Shakespeare as I can’t find a single review online. Here’s the official link if it helps. Thanks!

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/shakespeare-combos-spinning-combos/shakespeare-surf-stik-spinning-combos/1372976.html#q=surf%20stik%20spinning%20combos&start=2

Would like to see the internal sandspike.

Ya know, it must be nice living in Neverneverland. Remind me to come visit you, when I need a break from reality.

quote:
Originally posted by izzydone

Would like to see the internal sandspike.

Ya know, it must be nice living in Neverneverland. Remind me to come visit you, when I need a break from reality.

The video tab on the link shows how it works.

The rod should work fine but targeting reds and sharks with that surf spike is a little scary. Keep your drag LOOSE or your rod is gonna be surfin

1860 G3 DLX

Carp Crusade Bowfishing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXFNpm694hI

Video from Shakespeare about rod.

Seems neat. However, I would trust some pvc and a rubber mallet

I figured it would be pretty light duty with that spike. Not enough surface are on it to really hold much pressure. I’d have a hard time spending a bunch of money on gear that I’ll seldom use. I live in Missouri (born in Charleston though!) and am just wanting to do some fishing while in Edisto on a family vacation in a couple months. Appreciate the help, gents!

quote:
Originally posted by jcreel8

I figured it would be pretty light duty with that spike. Not enough surface are on it to really hold much pressure. I’d have a hard time spending a bunch of money on gear that I’ll seldom use. I live in Missouri (born in Charleston though!) and am just wanting to do some fishing while in Edisto on a family vacation in a couple months. Appreciate the help, gents!

A plain piece of PVC cut at an angle is very cheap and very effective. No special tools needed, I make mine with an old hacksaw. Just get a 3’ piece from the hardware store, cut it, and voila you have two!

A bad day of fishing beats a good day of work anytime.

That setup will work just fine. Like noted above I wouldn’t trust the integrated sand spike. Hard to beat PVC.

out for trout