Overnighter

Planning to stay out overnight Friday/Saturday. Plan is to get to some livebottom in 100’ before dark and anchored up. Bottom fish a while and be where we plan to start trolling before daybreak Sat morning. Any advice or things to know that I may forget that you think I should know go for it. Shout em out. Also, feel free to hail Florida Boy if you’re on your way out Saturday morning to make sure I’m still afloat. I generally scan 16,68,72

Mike Martinez

2016 Sea Hunt 25 Gamefish twin Yamaha 150’s

Bean bags to catch a nap on, a fish bag works in a pinch. Also, plenty of clothes, it can get chilly fast at night out there with a little wind, especially if you lay down. Good luck.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250

Clothes and a blanket lol will be packed. I may even bring a teddy too lol

Mike Martinez

Glow color jigs. Shine flashlight on them for minute before drop. You can put a hurting on grouper and BFT at night.

Keep your motor running when you anchor up; spreader lights, radio, depth finder, etc will drain a battery faster than you think.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250

And check the wind and sea forecast before you leave the dock. NWS is saying 15-20 knots out of the SW tonight, laying tomorrow. But they change the forecast every twelve hours anyway so who knows.

Olde Man Charters
286 Seafox/Twin 300’s

Make sure someone is always awake and paying attention. A container ship can ruin your whole night:face_with_head_bandage:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

No grouper til Sunday. I have individual batteries for each motor and a house battery. As well as a 900 Amp booster monster. I hadn’t planned to leave anything other than lights and anchor alarm on but will probably heed the advice leaving 1 motor.

Mike Martinez

We will be praying for your safe return…

May all your favorite bands stay together…

quote:
Originally posted by FLORIDA_BOY2

Clothes and a blanket lol will be packed. I may even bring a teddy too lol

Mike Martinez

A teddy bear or a lacey teddy? :smiley:

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

here too…second trip offshore in new boat…he’s also bringing his cojones…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

quote:
Originally posted by FLORIDA_BOY2

No grouper til Sunday. I have individual batteries for each motor and a house battery. As well as a 900 Amp booster monster. I hadn’t planned to leave anything other than lights and anchor alarm on but will probably heed the advice leaving 1 motor.

Mike Martinez

Dont forget to set your guard zone on the radar while you’re on the hook at night.

go to dollar tree and get a bunch of glow sticks - the small ones that can be tied to your bottom rig. They really work! You will be better off to anchor up near the ledge. Bsb do not feed at night but atlantic sharpnose sharks do . Suspended Beeliners will bite all night and if you freeline a small squid or cigar minnow with a light stick near the bait - mahi will bite all night too. Dangle some light sticks in the water around your boat and carry a big landing net and you can catch lots of flying fish

Pick up a bunch of chem lights @ the dollar store to hang about the boat to save on juice and have all on board wear one around their neck (with a short light lanyard so as to not catch on anything). 10 feet away from the boat it is pitch black. Better yet, have a quality flashlight & whistle on a line attached to them somewhere accessible.
Anyone taking a leak should remain inside the boat.

Safety should be the first priority, fish are a bonus. Set your radar alarm to pick up anything within 5 miles of you in case you doze off and don’t notice that freighter coming your way at 02:00! Also use your gps anchor alarm setting in case you start drifting.

At a minimum, have an offshore liferaft, epirb, ditch bag, and handheld gps and vhf for backups.

Good luck and catch em up!

Pretty sure he doesn’t have a radar on top of other things.

I’ll say it. You got a new boat, made one successful offshore trip and think you’re ready for an overnight trip with no buddy boat? That’s dumb. Get some more time on your boat during the day to really grasp how it handles, how all the systems work, the ideal layout for things, etc. Playing with it in your driveway can only prepare you so much.

Since you’re going to do it anyways, as others have advised, put glow sticks on everyone just in case and have someone watching at all times. Bean bags are a great investment.

quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo72
quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

here too…second trip offshore in new boat…he’s also bringing his cojones…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

4th but yes you’re correct.

Mike Martinez

quote:
Originally posted by Rapchizzle

I’ll say it. You got a new boat, made one successful offshore trip and think you’re ready for an overnight trip with no buddy boat? That’s dumb. Get some more time on your boat during the day to really grasp how it handles, how all the systems work, the ideal layout for things, etc. Playing with it in your driveway can only prepare you so much.

Since you’re going to do it anyways, as others have advised, put glow sticks on everyone just in case and have someone watching at all times. Bean bags are a great investment.

Appreciate your advice and concern but don’t think this is my first rodeo. Yes this is a new boat, I’ve put about 50 hours on it. It’s been offshore more than once. I grew up fishing overnighters as well. I always plan for the worst as to be prepared. I’ve had enough bad stuff happen to be expectant and prepared for many things to come. To the others, I do not have radar. We will have a couple up on watch at all times. I’ll have the spreaders, underwater and cabin lights on as well as USCG required. This post was more less a reassurance of anything that I could possibly forget. I’ve actually gained some knowledge from the responses and have already taken action towards using the info given.

Mike Martinez

Wow. Just wow.

Southern Comfort