flounder

Hey guys. want to start targeting a new species of fish and Flounder is what i want to start targeting next.No i dont want anyone spots but can you guys give me a few pointers on

1. best baits
  2. areas to fish(bottom wise,area)
  3. tides
  4. ect
    Also do certain rivers tend to hold better fish than others??
  1. live minnows or finger mullet, slowly dragged on bottom or drifted under a float
  2. sandy bottoms, mouth of creeks, cut-outs of banks
  3. for me…outgoing tide
  4. good luck!

do what Fatrat does

Amen to that Peapod!!

Searching for his post now

thanks

Gonefishing I sent you a PM

Been fishing for flounder most of my life and the best way I know to catch them is to fish for trout or reds. Seems I accident into them more than when I’m targeting them. Seriously though, they lay on the bottom and ambush anything that looks like food so any good ambush spots are likely to hold flounder. For most of my life I’ve drifted or slow trolled minnows past creek mouths. The trick to that method is feeling the bite which can be hard to decern and giving the fish plenty of time to eat by feeding out line for a 10 Mississippi count. The bigger fish seem to bite softer and take longer to eat.
Once I learn the spots in an area that hold fish, I pin minnows on a 1/4 jig head and cast to those spots, slow dragging the jig and concentrating on anything that feels different. This avoids more hang ups and allows coverage of structured areas better than trolling.
Lately, I’ve been using gulp shrimp on jig heads and that seems to work too.
This week I was trout fishing with trout tricks and I caught two in back to back casts on high tide on a grass line.
I really think the key is covering an area well and hitting them in the head with whatever bait you choose.

16’ High Tide Flats (Green) w/Yamaha 90
Wilderness Ride 135
Wilderness Tarpon 120

Thanks JLeephoto for the info. I usually fish Folly. Not sure if anyone done had any luck catching flounder in Folly

I use a VERY sharp 2/0 j hook, fish bait naked on flouro leader, target area is 1’ of water near shoreline, pull back to boat like a bass worm. If they are in a biting mood you’ll get hit hard… just gotta figure out how to NOT jerk but let the line out for 3 to 5 secs then set it!

I got down here to Charleston this morning and been trying to target them all day. Noooooo luck. Gotta figure out what I’m doing wrong