Can't Get rpms > 3000 on 175 Evinrude V6 2 stroke

Background: new plugs, new power pack installed, motor will turn high rpms in neutral. Under way, can’t get past 3000. I am aware of an rpm limiter for overheat, but no check engine light and no unusual steam in water coming out of cooling system. The only thing I haven’t checked yet is fluid in lower unit. Anybody had this one before? Engine runs smooth, no missing or backfires at the lower rpms. Anybody seen this before in OMC 2-strokes? Thanks.

Is this a E tec? The rev limiter would not let it go over 700 RPM! Change the fuel filters!

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

Is this a E tec? The rev limiter would not let it go over 700 RPM! Change the fuel filters!

What he said.
Fuel filters first.

If it’s an Etec I think I still have the cable and software if you need it. I just have to make sure the wife didn’t “put it away”. I haven’t used it in a while.

is there an arm from throttle assembly to the timing advance under flywheel that may have come disconnected

My Yamaha 4 stroke did the same thing. It was the screen in the VST tank. Another time I pulled and sent off the fuel injectors.

J-16 Carolina Skiff

When did it start? Are all the replacement items you listed a result of trying to fix this problem? Is it a carb motor or fuel injection?
If it’s a carb motor, the high rpms in neutral don’t mean anything. The motor will acheive high rpms in neutral without relying totally on the high speed jet in the carb. Clean the carbs.

218WA Sailfish
200 Verado
The "Penn"sion Plan

Had hat problem on a old 70 hp Johnson Lower carb was the problem

Thanks for inputs. Not an E-Tec. Next target is the middle and upper carbs, lower 2 have been cleaned. After that maybe the optical sensor. I decided to put the new power pack on, with this engine you need one about every 3,4 years anyway. Compression check and spark check were OK. Will post results.

“Don’t tell fish stories where people know you; but particularly, don’t tell them where they know the fish.” Mark Twain

my buddys 1999 115 johnson had a bad optical sensor and had no fire at all