Vacation spot

My wife and kids like going to the keys but it’s such a long drive with boat in tow. The family doesn’t fish like me. They like getting in the water. I’m looking for somewhere else to go that’s closer yet still has good snorkeling available. Also need a few things to do onshore. Thanks.

i noticed youre in the greenville area. have you been on lake jocassee? its not offshore but it has some terrific water to dive and snorkel in. if you are just snorkeling, not diving, go snorkel around the water falls, there are always entertaining things there. if you are diving, i can give you few places to go check out.

edit: they also have a nice campground called Devils Fork which also has an island you can camp on that is only accessible by boat.

If I’m posting, its because I’m sitting here at work, dreaming about fishing.

I love Destin FL, but I wouldn’t call the snorkeling all that good. You can snorkel on the jetties there, but it’s not like the keys. Water is beautiful though.

Been to jocassee many times. Destin was actually a place I was looking at. Seems to be plenty to do in the water. Would the snorkeling be more like the gulf side in the keys? Grass flats and such?

Take a look at the Crystal River area of Florida. Not a bad drive from G’Ville. Fishing is great inshore and in the Gulf. If you go after the end of June it will be scallop season. You can harvest scallops while snorkeling.

“Ships and Sailors Rot in Port”- Admiral Nelson

I second Crystal River or anywhere in that general area. We’re actually staying a little farther south in the Weeki Wachee area in July. The river is so clear, there are manatees, etc. and the scalloping is great fun. Still trying to master inshore fishing down there but it is a good area. You are also not far from Tampa which has a great zoo and Busch Gardens.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?