Prepared

Those that know me well know that I am typically prepared for just about anything. For example: I prepare a list of questions prior to walking into a work appointment, I check the weather multiple times before laying out my clothes the night before work, and I prepare a grocery list prior to hosting a dinner party. When it comes to potential complications from mechanical related problems on the water I am typically very well prepared as well. My big boat has a strong inventory of handtools, spare parts including light bulbs, fuses spark plugs, filters, prop, as well as items for emergency repairs such as, hose clamps, duct tape, silicone tape, fast setting epoxy, spare fuses, zip ties, etc. My flats boat inventory of repair items is a little more limited with just a spare fuel filter, a few basic hand tools, a roll of silicone tape, some zip ties, and a filter wrench. The inventory of my Jon boat is even more limited with just a Gerber multi-tool, fuel filter and a filter wrench.

This past weekend three of my best friends and I celebrated our fifth anniversary of taking our kids on a father kids camping trip. For the first few years of this tradition our camping trips where typically to one of the state parks where we had full access to amenities making the trip comfortable for all the youngsters. As the kids have grown a little older these last two years we have moved the camping trip to a barrier island that is only accessible by boat where we set up primitive sites.

We make multiple trips to the island using two small jon boats caring the kids, primitive camping gear, food and firewood for a two night stay. On Friday as we prepared to make one last trip to the landing to grab the last of the fire wood my buddies jon boat starting acting up. Specifically the boat was put into reverse to move it off the bank and nothing was happening. After raising the motor we realized the prop was totally gone. Evidently the locking pin had fallen out allowing the castle nut and thrust washer to spin right off the shaft