Yellowhouse Snook

My buddy was getting some bait over the weekend in Yellowhouse and much to his surprise he brought in a total of 6 juvie snook in the cast net along with an abundance of creek shrimp! I didn’t believe him until he sent these pics to me! Pretty wild and very cool! These fish are on my bucket list (much like a local tarpoon) and it would be awesome to catch one here but I imagine they leave when the water cools! Check this out!

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

Dang! And that’s this years spawn, I would assume, which means at least some snook are reproducing locally. There ain’t no way fish that size migrated up from Florida. Learn something new everyday.

I’ll be dipped!!! The line sider is on my bucket list too.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

I’ve seen some FB posts about some guys catching them on rod and reel here. Not sure where…

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

That’s awesome!

They get swung up in the current in the spring most of those fish will depart the area or die of cold temps. most but not all. Caught a 22” this year in a pond where I sometimes catch micro tarpon. Not a joke. I would be surprised to catch one that size that was not in a impoundment though.

I caught one in a cast net recently and thought I was seeing things. It was in an impoundment:smiley: I get baby tarpon a couple of times a year as well.

Been catching bunch of them last few weeks in cast net. Mostly 3-4". Gotta pinch them out of net. Been mixed in with finger mullet.

Ya know, it must be nice living in Neverneverland. Remind me to come visit you, when I need a break from reality.

quote:
Originally posted by surfwrangler

They get swung up in the current in the spring most of those fish will depart the area or die of cold temps. most but not all. Caught a 22” this year in a pond where I sometimes catch micro tarpon. Not a joke. I would be surprised to catch one that size that was not in a impoundment though.

22" in an impoundment is impressive. I’d have figured our earlier cold would have killed em out.

Who knows maybe some will adjust to cooler temps and migrate up the state?

Stump, This is crazy. I saw a small one in my mess of MM a few times and didn’t think anything about it. I’ll pay closer attention when I receive another. Nice report. Snook is definitely on my list in Fla this upcoming summer.

“Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education”

18’ CC SeaFox

Fatrat, do you need a co-angler on said summer fishing trip to Florida? LOL

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

Caught 2 in the cast net last November in the Wando. Contacted DNR just to see if there were reports of them in the area. Wiggs said that reports were rare in open waters but he’s heard of impoundments that hold them.

The impoundments with a dark colored bottom hold the heat better , and the tides don’t push in colder water. I’ve heard that they drift on currents as eggs.