Minn Kota Riptide Ulterra & MK’s “customer service

2 years AND less than 90 days ago I bought a MINN KOTA Ulterra 80 and mounted to my 2015 Scout 201. I worked 60-80 hr a week and recently retired. I bought the boat with 68 hours and it has about 110 on it now. Soooo this trolling motor has not seen a lot of use nor abuse. SaltAway every time it comes out of salt. I had not used the trolling motor since last November.

I had plans to come to Beaufort fishing this weekend BUT now the Ulterra won’t deploy. Cancelled the trip. Motor to the certified MK dealer in the area. Was told the TRIM MODULE is broken…$500. Minn Kota says basically bend over and pay the full amount. I didn’t expect it for free but no break on the price on a not used since November ( would have fit into the warranty) or even less than 90 days out?

I even explained I had bought another Riptide ( not Ulterra) , a Talon, and two charging banks over the years for my two boats. Their response? “ insert crickets chirping”.

Where is customer service, brand loyalty these days even for crap like this made in China? BTW. I SPENT three phone calls to tech support yesterday at over 20 min each with no answer , but today I hit the button for “ buy parts” and within 5 seconds someone picked up the phone!

The Ulterra has issues with the auto-deploy/stow feature since it came out. Why anyone still buys them is beyond me. Plus, with the “limited two year warranty,” while it is a VERY crappy situation, MK doesn’t have to honor anything after said “limited” warranty expires. Sure, customer service, brand loyalty…I get all of that but you also can’t overlook the fact that MK is by far and away the best selling/most popular trolling motor on the market right now.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

It’s not talking crap if you can back it up…and nothing can back it up better than facts.

Why?
A… because I saw my buddy slip and do a header off the bow of his boat three years ago into three ft of water pulling up his trolling motor. How he didn’t get a cervical fracture I’ll never know.

B. I fish by myself on the lake a lot and I can self launch easily. Boat off, deploy trolling motor, SPOT LOCK all with arm out the window, park trailer, and Bluetooth the boat to the dock.

C. One less step on an artificial knee up to the bow to mess with the trolling motor.

… THAT’s why.

2015 201 Bay Scout
150 Yamaha

My old partner had issues with his Ulterra. I understand there was a problem with the trim motor’s gasket.

Didn’t mean to ruffle your feathers, FF. I was simply pointing out that since the Ulterra has been on the market, malfunction issue with the auto-deploy/stow function have been well documented and constant and with that, people that own them should never be shocked or somehow otherwise put off WHEN the trolling motor malfunctions. It has happened. It does happen and until Minn Kota finds a way to fix the issue, it will continue to happen. It also shouldn’t surprise anyone that a marine electronics company wouldn’t honor a “limited” warranty nearly three months past the warranty’s expiration. In other words, an Ulterra’s auto deploy/stow feature malfunctioning and a company not honoring an expired “limited” warranty and not giving someone a “break” after said “limited” warranty has expired shouldn’t surprise anyone.

At least now, the next time it malfunctions, and it will, you’ll know what to expect. I hope you were able to resolve the issue and get back on the water.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

It’s not talking crap if you can back it up…and nothing can back it up better than facts.

I have to agree with bangstick here. People expect small businesses to take full responsibility for things that aren’t their fault. Most of us try to go the distance, but you gotta draw the line somewhere. A good example is when we send jigs to a customer by USPS Priority. Do everything correct, ship timely to the correct address and USPS loses it. We get yelled at because the customer did not get their product. We usually cover it but really, its not our fault! When you don’t use your boat or trolling motor for 6 months thats when things go bad.

1966 13’ Boston Whaler “Flatty”
2018 Sportsman Masters 207
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

Sounds like the advise we give our cardiac surgery patients. I’ll use it more from now on. It’s not the money… it was the absolute lack of care on MINN Kota’s part. “ get the Chinese to build it on the cheap, ( screwing the American worker for a profit margin), charge out the wazoo to buy it, and when it breaks…we don’t care, but you can buy another part. “ IMO.

2015 201 Bay Scout
150 Yamaha

quote:
Originally posted by Flat Fly n

Sounds like the advise we give our cardiac surgery patients. I’ll use it more from now on. It’s not the money… it was the absolute lack of care on MINN Kota’s part. “ get the Chinese to build it on the cheap, ( screwing the American worker for a profit margin), charge out the wazoo to buy it, and when it breaks…we don’t care, but you can buy another part. “ IMO.

2015 201 Bay Scout
150 Yamaha

Kind of like the level of “customer service” and “price break” you get when a replaced joint wears out or “breaks” before it’s time…you get to pay full price to replace the replacement part. Apparently marine electronics companies aren’t the only ones to perfect/exercise this practice. Sad thing is, the Minn Kota “limited” two year warranty is better than the “warranty” you get on an artificial joint replacement.

I’m not sure why you are going there but when YOU can replace a joint yourself ( ie Ulterra out of a box and you put it on your boat yourself) then it must be pretty foolproof.

Surgery itself has too many variables that make as your example … joint replacement work. Pre , intra, post op , and rehab. Did you stay obese, smoke,or get it infected to cause an early failure. BTW. INDUSTRY and the gov regulate implants ,’and if there is a problem then that joint is discontinued and you can bet the attorneys know about it… so I doubt there will be recalls from MinnKota or commercials to sue them based on other fishermen having problems.

No wonder this website is dying.

2015 201 Bay Scout
150 Yamaha

We are the Charleston areas only Minn Kota Authorized Service Center. that being said, you purchase a product with a specific warranty. 2 years from the manufacture date, or 2 years from the date of purchase if you have proof of purchase. The warranty is incredibly good. If you can figure out a way to break the product during the 2 year warranty period, Minn Kota will cover just about anything, short of maybe running over with your truck. After the 2 years, the warranty has expired. your coverage expires based on the date, its not how much you use it, or how long it was in storage. its a 2 year warranty, after 2 years, yes, its expired, no longer valid, and yes, at that point you are on your own.

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.bombislandboats.com
IF I RESPOND IN ALL CAPS, ITS NOT ON PURPOSE, AND I AM NOT YELLING