Spottails?

I’ve fished a few spots in the Stono Kiawah and Folly that usually produce 10-30 reds every time out this time of year. I’ve probably been to each 3-4 times over the past two weeks and caught a combined 5 the whole time. Anyone else seeing the same thing? Not like These are new/untested spots (which I’ve also tried and struck out), but these spots typically have fish year round but especially in the summer. I’ve completely befuddled.

Overfished. Everywhere in charleston is getting overfished. I think a smaller slot and a 1 fish limit in the 23 to 25 or 25 to 27 range would work better. We need better programs and more regs. The rate of growth in charleston and increased water activities is to great for natural resources and current programs. They need to do some kind of tax like the roadway tax to take care of our waterways.

We are already taxed. Boat cost me close to a grand in taxes this year. What we need is to have more fisherman catch and release. More regs and more tax is not the answer.

The current program of not fixing ramps and stopping ramp progress is working. Limit access limits impact.
I don’t agree with it buts that’s what’s going on.

Op, sucks your not finding them like you used to. Fish move when pressured. Bait is thick right now. Moon is full so they are eating more at night.
My last trip only caught 5 smaller slots. Saw three times as many. They were very picky. Would nose it but not strike. The ones that did bite were stuffed full. Big fat bellies.

Keep trying.

Yeah, over fishing is real, have several holes behind IOP that would always produce… not anymore… I am sure this is common place in many locations around Charleston. Kinda sucks but guess that’s why they call it fishing…

~ If they ain’t hating, you ain’t doing something right…

More taxes does not equal more fish. See SCDOT for case studies.

Additional regs have proven to help certain species and can be effective. Current regs on Reds are adequate IMO.

Overfishing in general can deplete populations but I doubt any one “spot” can be “over fished” such there are no more fish there. Think about some of the popular spots mentioned here of CF. I’ve heard there are docks that 4-5 boats fishing the same time, some of them even are charters. Yet these docks still produce fish.

Likely season, bait conditions, water temps and many other factors that either cause them to not be there or not want to eat. Fish also simply move on as part of their natural life cycle.

I have spots that I’ve caught fish nearly every cast and then fish it a month later and struggle to get a bite, yet 6 months later catch 30 fish again. I had another spot that I found years ago that used to produce well for me, but the last 3-4 times I’ve fished it I’ve been very disappointed just as you described.

Keep challenging yourself to find new spots and come back to the other honey holes less often. Once you build a rotation of 10-15 spots in your normal waters you’ll more times than not have a good fishing trip.

I’m not saying fishing pressure isn’t an issue because it is but I can’t help but laugh when people talk about not catching fish in a spot or in spots where they “always catch fish” and then all of the sudden it’s because of over-fishing, fishing pressure, too little this, too much that, stupid paddleboarders, people from Ohio, transplants from the north. Just because we didn’t load the boat doesn’t mean they weren’t there. Maybe somedays we’re not as “good” of a fisherman as we thought we were. Maybe the fish moved. Maybe conditions weren’t right. Maybe there was too much bait. Maybe there was too little bait. Bottom line, sometimes we catch’em and sometimes we don’t. Too many people get spoiled by running to the same spot(s) every time they hit the water and getting their string stretched and/or filling the cooler and the minute that doesn’t happen, they pull a Chicken Little and scream “the sky is falling!”. As DBTR suggested, challenge yourself. Go explore new water. For those of you lucky enough to live along the coast, you know how scenic and picturesque SC’s coast line is. Well, get out the and take it in. Don’t just do the same old milk run of spots every time you hit the water. You never know, you may actually enjoy yourself and MAYBE even find a new “honey hole.”

As far as adjusting regs, if it’s a matter of having to adjust the size/slot/creel limit, the DNR will address it accordingly.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

It’s early summertime patterns right now. Fish only eat Monday - Friday until school is back in.

You may stand in the same spot everyday, but you aren’t fishing the same water.

quote:
Originally posted by bangstick

I’m not saying fishing pressure isn’t an issue because it is but I can’t help but laugh when people talk about not catching fish in a spot or in spots where they “always catch fish” and then all of the sudden it’s because of over-fishing, fishing pressure, too little this, too much that, stupid paddleboarders, people from Ohio, transplants from the north. Just because we didn’t load the boat doesn’t mean they weren’t there. Maybe somedays we’re not as “good” of a fisherman as we thought we were. Maybe the fish moved. Maybe conditions weren’t right. Maybe there was too much bait. Maybe there was too little bait. Bottom line, sometimes we catch’em and sometimes we don’t. Too many people get spoiled by running to the same spot(s) every time they hit the water and getting their string stretched and/or filling the cooler and the minute that doesn’t happen, they pull a Chicken Little and scream “the sky is falling!”. As DBTR suggested, challenge yourself. Go explore new water. For those of you lucky enough to live along the coast, you know how scenic and picturesque SC’s coast line is. Well, get out the and take it in. Don’t just do the same old milk run of spots every time you hit the water. You never know, you may actually enjoy yourself and MAYBE even find a new “honey hole.”

As far as adjusting regs, if it’s a matter of having to adjust the size/slot/creel limit, the DNR will address it accordingly.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

bangstick,
Maybe the water was too close to the bottom.

Harold Wilcox
www.haroldshogwash.com

HaHaHa!!! I’m totally stealing that one, HW! LOL!

quote:

HaHaHa!!! I’m totally stealing that one, HW! LOL!

bangstick,
Years ago when I used to bass guide on Lake Marion, my customers had heard all the usual excuses…water is falling too fast, water is rising too fast, cold front, high pressure, low pressure. etc., etc. Whenever they would hear one of those, they always had a comeback. When I’d say the water is just too close to the bottom, they’d look at each other in puzzlement and usually say nothing. LOL

Harold Wilcox
www.haroldshogwash.com

The Stono River is muddy as hell.I have not seen the River this nasty in 40 years.3 Years ago i could walk to my dock and see clear water to 3-4 feet.Now it is maybe 1 foot.I run the river find 2 feet of clarity and that is where the trout are.The Stono docks hold reds all year long.You just have to work for them.Most people i take have no patience and think fish will just jump on the bait.I go fishing and hardly ever hit the right tides.I do so much better alone or with another fisherman that knows what the hell is going on.I miss you Eric.LOL

Stonoman

quote:
Originally posted by 40inchreds

Overfished. Everywhere in charleston is getting overfished. I think a smaller slot and a 1 fish limit in the 23 to 25 or 25 to 27 range would work better. We need better programs and more regs. The rate of growth in charleston and increased water activities is to great for natural resources and current programs. They need to do some kind of tax like the roadway tax to take care of our waterways.

I agree on changing the slot. I don’t keep any reds under 18” and sometimes don’t take those unless they are thick. Just not enough meat on the smaller ones to justify killing them and then cleaning them

quote:

I’m not saying fishing pressure isn’t an issue because it is but I can’t help but laugh when people talk about not catching fish in a spot or in spots where they “always catch fish” and then all of the sudden it’s because of over-fishing, fishing pressure, too little this, too much that, stupid paddleboarders, people from Ohio, transplants from the north. Just because we didn’t load the boat doesn’t mean they weren’t there. Maybe somedays we’re not as “good” of a fisherman as we thought we were. Maybe the fish moved. Maybe conditions weren’t right. Maybe there was too much bait. Maybe there was too little bait. Bottom line, sometimes we catch’em and sometimes we don’t. Too many people get spoiled by running to the same spot(s) every time they hit the water and getting their string stretched and/or filling the cooler and the minute that doesn’t happen, they pull a Chicken Little and scream “the sky is falling!”. As DBTR suggested, challenge yourself. Go explore new water. For those of you lucky enough to live along the coast, you know how scenic and picturesque SC’s coast line is. Well, get out the and take it in. Don’t just do the same old milk run of spots every time you hit the water. You never know, you may actually enjoy yourself and MAYBE even find a new "honey hole

I didn’t think my post insinuated the sky was falling and I have tried new spots. Simply saying I’ve caught far fewer spottail (have caught more trout) than normal in both tried and true spots as well as different stretches of rivers that look good. I don’t consider myself a master fisherman by any stretch but I can usually catch fish even in new areas - just not over the past few weeks. I waited to post this until I’d done enough fishing to realize it’s not a one off but a sustained trend. I’ve fished

Your complaint/observation is hardly original, SS. There are always folks talking about “X” not being as good as it used to be. Bread used to cost a nickel and milk didn’t cost anywhere near $3 per gallon. Times change. Conditions change. Habitat changes. Certain age classes of fish fluctuate from year to year for various reasons and that directly impacts “angler success” from year to year. It happens…always has and always will. Some years it’s a whackfest and fishing turns into catching. Other years, not so much. In response to the recent claims of a fishing downturn for redfish, the DNR adjusted (decreased) the daily creel limit. That said, we can all do our part. If you feel there are less redfish around, keep less. Thanks to people like Optiker, I now operate under a strict C&R on all trout over 20". With redfish, I adhere to the two fish limit, if I keep any at all. Point being, we shouldn’t need new/additional laws or new/additional regulations or new/additional taxes to persuade us to do what we feel is right for the resource. That said, I personally have no problem adhering to the management approach/regulations for our natural resources as set by the DNR. Their fishery biologists spend more time on the water than most of us, guides/charter Captains excluded, so I’m more than comfortable with the decisions they make based on their experienced observations. Control what you can control. Otherwise, try to enjoy yourself.

They cover a mass area if someone focusses on a small area they learn it really well. I know for fact about 5 spots i fished that have just got plain fished out. The fish you do catch have all been caught before.

I know it use to be you’d catch more under the slot then over, now i catch about the same over slot as i use to but hardly ever catch baby reds anymore. That does not look good for the future crops. Its been like 3 years since ive hit a good size school of undersize reds.

I couldn’t get away from the undersize spotail last fall in yellow house.Maybe the small ones are a little more inland from where you’re fishing?

quote:

Your complaint/observation is hardly original, SS. There are always folks talking about “X” not being as good as it used to be. Bread used to cost a nickel and milk didn’t cost anywhere near $3 per gallon. Times change. Conditions change. Habitat changes. Certain age classes of fish fluctuate from year to year for various reasons and that directly impacts “angler success” from year to year. It happens…always has and always will. Some years it’s a whackfest and fishing turns into catching. Other years, not so much. In response to the recent claims of a fishing downturn for redfish, the DNR adjusted (decreased) the daily creel limit. That said, we can all do our part. If you feel there are less redfish around, keep less. Thanks to people like Optiker, I now operate under a strict C&R on all trout over 20". With redfish, I adhere to the two fish limit, if I keep any at all. Point being, we shouldn’t need new/additional laws or new/additional regulations or new/additional taxes to persuade us to do what we feel is right for the resource. That said, I personally have no problem adhering to the management approach/regulations for our natural resources as set by the DNR. Their fishery biologists spend more time on the water than most of us, guides/charter Captains excluded, so I’m more than comfortable with the decisions they make based on their experienced observations. Control what you can control. Otherwise, try to enjoy yourself.

Less of a complaint / observation and more of a question to see if others were seeing the same thing.

I agree with a lot of what you said, the problem is that you and most folks who take the time to read / post on this board, are typically the local

I live in Lexington so I’m hardly local. Sad fact of the matter is, I haven’t been in the salt since December. Life and work has gotten in the way this year, to say the least. Even on a good year, I don’t get down there as much as I would like but when I do get down there, I don’t rely on one or two “honey holes.” As I mentioned before, the coast is so picturesque and scenic that I enjoy covering water and finding new spots (new to me, at least) every time I hit the water. My enjoyment doesn’t revolve around a cooler full of fish and I don’t measure the “success” of a trip by how full my cooler is. Since it’s a 2 hour drag from my house to the landing, it would be easy to use those “measurements” as a barometer of my enjoyment and success but that’s simply not me. There’s so much more to it than that, for me. Call me what you will but since I don’t get to the saltwater as much as I would like, each and every time I do get to go makes the trip a “success” from the get go. Any fish I catch is a bonus. Not to toot my own horn but I rarely get skunked. I attribute that to the help I’ve received from a few EXTREMELY knowledgeable folks here on CF and time on the water. Sure, since I’m not local to the area, the amount of time it’s taken me to figure some things out is much longer than locals but I don’t consider that a bad thing. One, it’s time on the water. How can that be a bad thing? Two, it’s not a race. I’m not working with a time limit so I don’t feel pressured to find the fish.

As far as finding a school and hammering it, that’s really only relevant during certain times of the year because there’s only certain times of the year when the reds are in big tight schools. Or at least that’s been my observation. This time of year, I cover a lot of water and pick up a fish here and there. Sometimes I may get into an area and pick up multiple fish but for me, that’s hardly the norm. Plus, I think fishing style plays a role here. I’m a bass fisherman at heart. I rarely, if ever, throw live and/or cut bait. I use arti

I do so enjoy the comments from our God’s Country representative. Bang on stick

~ If they ain’t hating, you ain’t doing something right…