Topwater Baits for Trout

What are a few tried and true topwater baits for trout that I should have in my tackle box?

Zara Spook in Bone.

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations,neither are you here to live up to mine” Peter Tosh - I Am That I Am

Rapala Skitter V

1966 13’ Boston Whaler “Flatty”
2018 Sportsman Masters 207
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

Thanks guys. I’ll go buy one of each. Any color suggestion on the rappala Op?

I’ve used several but I’ve found “walk the dog” style baits and popping style baits have produced the best for me.

I don’t get as color specific as some do. I typically have light color profiles (bone or natural baitfish colors) and a dark color profiles (black or bronze). I believe how the bait silhouettes has more of an impact than the actual color. How a light or dark color profile bait silhouettes against a high blue bird sky, or a novercast cloudy sky or a dark early morning/evening sky is more impactful than the actual color of the bait itself, in my opinion. If you notice on most baits, the color/design is typically on the top (back) of the bait. Well, the fish can’t see that from underneath the bait. Just some food for thought.

One thing is for sure, I would never buy just one of any bait. I always have at least two (typically three or four) of each.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

I’m not a huge believer in color for topwater plugs. Most of em are white on the belly anyway.
I tend to use red/white, white, or chrome colored ones. As you can see, that’s a pretty big difference in color. They all work.
I believe that profile, action and mostly sound are what matters. For what ever reason, that skitter V gets struck more than any other TW plug I’ve ever used. Proofs in the pudding!

Don’t over look the Mirrorlures top dog series.

He must Increase,but I must decrease. John 3:30

Lucky craft Sammy and the old devil horse prop baits too

Purchased a zara spook and mirro lure. Will practice the walk the dog technique and report back soon with results. Thanks for all the responses.

Went out this morning. My technique was ugly but I guess somewhat effective. Managed my first 4 trout on top and hooked up with about that many more. Three at 16" and one around 14". There were of course several blow ups without any results. I will have to say the blow ups were pretty exciting. One particular cast stands out as I had a hit and hooked up for a short fight, lost that one but continued my retrieve and had another one make 5 attempts to eat finally hooking up on the last try. Turns out this was the smallest fish of the morning. Had two rises right at the boat. Thanks to all the great advice on this thread and a few other recent similar topics I was able to go out and effectively execute a game plan based on the knowledge shared on this site.

1 Like

That’s the stuff!
Practice a good loop knot and get even more action on the dog walk!

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

Good stuff, DBTR!!!

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

Listen to Stump!

You’re ruirnt

Haha, Yes a new addiction for sure! Yes, working on loop knots for sure. Going back out soon to try to find some more.

Question?s: do y’all use mono or flouro for your leader material? What length and what strenghth?

I also kept getting hook fouls in my leader line, Any suggestions on that? I know some of them were from mire pior technique and too much slack in the line.

I use 15 lb mono, nothing special. A pro-tip is to always use at least 12" of mono or fluoro leader as otherwise your braid will get wrapped in the split rings - nothing worse than trying to pick that out in the dark while your buddy is getting blown up. I usually use about 24" of leader +/- 12". If you start your cast slowly the lure will stay strait and lay out causing less fouling and you will be able to cast much further. Most plugs are designed so the ball bearing will move to the back of the plug during the cast for just this reason. If the plug is tumbling in the air you’re doing it wrong. BTW, I still make mine tumble pretty often so … :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you’re going to use a leader, use mono. Fluorocarbon is more dense and will sink and that will negatively impact the action of the bait. Mono is more buoyant but will absorb water over time and will eventually sink a little but not as bad or as fast as fluorocarbon.

I’ve never used mono for a leader, ever. I have several spools of 20lb flouro leader that I use under corks for its invisibility properties. So I just use that. Flouro is more abrasion resistant and has much less stretch. Now, if you had 15ft of leader, maybe the flouro would make the action feel ‘weighted down’, but I wouldn’t know. Not saying mono shouldn’t be used, just that it won’t actually make or break the technique. Also, after a few hours of topwater, I cut off the lure and tie on a jig and I’m already ready already.

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

I’m not a big fan of leaders for topwater baits anyway. Yeah, every once in a while the front hook will grab my braid but it doesn’t happen frequently enough for me to look for a solution to it. That said, I’ve tried it and found that fluorocarbon leaders on topwater baits negatively impacted the action of the bait but mono did not. Well, not until after several hours and the mono absorbed water. Now, I’m straight braid with topwater baits. Like I said, the line hooking on the front hook just isn’t that big of deal for me. I’ve had fish hit a fowled bait so they don’t seem to mind as much as we do.

1 Like