Better understanding of the fishing

I have been doing a fare amount of fishing the past few weeks in the upper Wando and have done decent managing a few trout and reds every trip but I find that if my few go to spots are not producing I tend to struggle a little bit. I consider my self a good fishing and have been fishing my entire life and have a decent understanding of the fishing but there is always more to learn. I have been using primarily mudminnows would you prefer shrimp or mullet over mudminnows this time of year? When do you prefer to fish docks vs mouths vs oyster beds? How does the area you fish change as the tides change?

I know my questions are pretty broad and I am not asking for everyones secrets just want to try and learn as much as possible to become a better fisherman. If there is another resource to learn this stuff I would greatly appreciate you pointing me in that direction. I will be spending a lot of time on the water fishing which is the best way to learn but want to also learn while not on the water.

Thanks

I’ve drowned so many mudminnows… live shrimp produce more for me but I’m a novice

Just keep at it. If one bait doesn’t produce fish, switch baits. If you can have a couple lines out with different baits until you figure out what they are eating that day. Force yourself to look for new fishing spots every trip out if you can, you will be surprised how many fish there are and where you can catch them.

Live Shrimp has always produced better over all than mud minnow for me. Unless you talk Flounder, I’ve done better with minnows but that’s not saying a lot as I’m not a flounder catcher. Spot Tail I think you may do better with live minnows on the bottom for the over slot fish, while live shrimp under a cork seems to catch more slots.

If you are managing a few trout and spot tail every trip you are doing better than a lot … probably most going fishing. Sounds like you are figuring out the tides and locations pretty good. :smiley:

The DNR web sight has tons of fishing information and tactics. It’s a great start. Just have to dig around on their sight.
This is a link to their inshore/offshore reports.
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/news/saltpiers.html

I’m a noob on all accounts but I read this info in another thread here recently.

From SilverFern:
I’ve found the best action at low tide is around submerged structures like docks, oyster beds, and fallen trees. I use live shrimp, finger mullet, and crabs on a Carolina rig or under a popper cork. I also throw jigs with gulp shrimp and swim tail lures. That’s not to say my way is best but it works well for me. I also sight fish at high tide in the grass with everything listed above.

Maybe others can chime in and agree/disagree.

2072 Tracker Grizzly w/75 Merc

I’m not much on soaking live/cut bait so I’m afraid I can’t help you with which is better than another but one thing I would suggest is don’t be so mentality fixated on a particular spot or a particular bait. Be flexible and learn to be versatile in your approach.

I fish artificials exclusively all year long but I have something for every possible scenario I can think of in the boat with me every time I hit the water. Something for all parts of the water column, fast retrieve baits, slow retrieve baits, soft plastics, hard baits, wire baits. Think outside of the box as well. I love those days when I only have one or two rods on the deck but those days are the exception than the rule. It’s no secret what a lot of folks use to target redfish and trout and flounder in the area so take that and find a way to put your own spin on it and try to show the fish something different.

As far as spots, if you have a couple of “go-to” spots, try to replicate them elsewhere. There’s going to be some characteristics about those spots that can be repeated at other spots. Dissect your “go-to” spots and figure out why and when they produce for you. Then, go look for those same things elsewhere.

Again, the best thing you can do is remain flexible and be as versatile as you possibly can. Have the confidence in a wide range of techniques so you can switch it up when a particular technique isn’t working. I personally believe too many anglers get caught up in one particular approach/technique and when that approach/technique isn’t producing, they chalk it up as the fish simply weren’t biting that day. Then, they see posts on here of anglers who were out in the same general area on the same day and they slayed’em. Cover water and keep changing it up. The fish will eventually tell you when you’re doing it the right way in the right place.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

Fishing over oyster beds is good, but you can bet that you are gonna lose some rigs. Sheepshead,reds,flounder like those areas. Creek mouths, fish them with the incoming and outgoing tide. As everyone has said, keep trying eventually you will figure it out.

Double D.

See if there is a tide correlation between when each of your spots works and when it doesn’t. Most of the spots I have only work for a certain window of the tide.

Shrimp seems to produce more numbers for me.

Finger mullet catch bigger fish. Everything hits shrimp which is good and bad. Mud minnows are for when no other baits around because they are always around, think winter time. Mud minnows are a good option if your trying to live bait fish but know nothing about keeping bait or dont want the hassle of a pump.

The best way to better your technique is by working 1 area or 1 fish or 1 bait or all at once. If you fish 1 spot you will find its patterns and those patterns will transfer to similar areas and fish have the same patterns even in different area, ex moving tide for trout. Watch the water and be aware of what your doing, small details matter. It will seem like work at first but you will like it once you get use to it.

I see bait being busted on by the grass line, i catch the bait. Do i take the bait and fish a. Rig on the bottom by the channel or do i tie on a poppin cork and float it by the grass? Its shocking the amount of times i see people miss the signs. Watch the water it will show you alot and put your time in and try to build of each experience.

quote:
Originally posted by 40inchreds

Finger mullet catch bigger fish. Everything hits shrimp which is good and bad. Mud minnows are for when no other baits around because they are always around, think winter time. Mud minnows are a good option if your trying to live bait fish but know nothing about keeping bait or dont want the hassle of a pump.

The best way to better your technique is by working 1 area or 1 fish or 1 bait or all at once. If you fish 1 spot you will find its patterns and those patterns will transfer to similar areas and fish have the same patterns even in different area, ex moving tide for trout. Watch the water and be aware of what your doing, small details matter. It will seem like work at first but you will like it once you get use to it.

I see bait being busted on by the grass line, i catch the bait. Do i take the bait and fish a. Rig on the bottom by the channel or do i tie on a poppin cork and float it by the grass? Its shocking the amount of times i see people miss the signs. Watch the water it will show you alot and put your time in and try to build of each experience.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

Yessir!

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”