Fishhook removal trick

Hey there fellow Anglers,

Just wanted to share with you a fishhook removal trick I found online after my own recent misadventure

Saved me a trip to the Emergency Room … and the chance to keep on Fishing

https://youtu.be/VB1CoObzmPw

Be safe out there

DH

Pretty cool ,thanks for the tip on your first post. I once had a buddy that had a Hopkins spoon embedded in his head until we got back to park circle. I pulled it out with a pair of vise grips.The rockfish used to really school around the mouth of goose Creek.haha

Hey,are you a real dr ,because we have one on here that impersonates a doctor .

I’ve always just pushed him through and cut the Barb off

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.

quote:
Originally posted by Off the chain

I’ve always just pushed him through and cut the Barb off

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.

You’ve obviously never had one in a bone.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

Another neat trick.

But I have to say, and hoping no-one takes it the wrong way. But in my 45+ years of fishing I have NEVER…EVER had hook in me past the barb…not once. From Trout hooks to having a Largemouth with a face full of 1/0 trebles.

Maybe I’m doing it wrong???

quote:
Originally posted by dparker677

Another neat trick.

But I have to say, and hoping no-one takes it the wrong way. But in my 45+ years of fishing I have NEVER…EVER had hook in me past the barb…not once. From Trout hooks to having a Largemouth with a face full of 1/0 trebles.

Hope not, but you may have just wished one your way… at least that’s how it would work out for me

A hook in the fingernail is my favorite:dizzy_face:

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

looks painful to me.
I have never had one in me but if I did this is how I would do it.
Jimmy Houston approved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3sqNiWCPMc

better explanation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2Re91_P7KE

quote:
Originally posted by dparker677

Another neat trick.

yes. you are.

Stonoman can back me up on this…get a newbie in your boat and throw some topwaters. you’ll get one real fast

also, DRTerry’s people are looking into your libelous remark assman. you need me to refer you to a lawyer?

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

also, DRTerry’s people are looking into your libelous remark assman. you need me to refer you to a lawyer?

…I was gonna write something about what you believe to be true or untrue…

Then I thought…it really does not matter.

Thanks for that! :smiley:

Always put a Newbee up front and watch out.

Stonoman

Tried doing it to my self a week ago, could not get it out. Used a pliers and pushed it thru but the pliers would not cut the hook and had to pull it thru with the eye attached, bloody job! Didn’t have a pair of pliers in the boat and had to go to the ramp and borrow some. Was not my boat, now my buddy has a pair of good pliers a wire cutter and a firstaid kit in the boat!

The hook was in my wrist just under the watch band! Looke just like the pig foot

the jimmy houston is the way to do it. if one doesnt have xylocaine. jan

When I captained headboats I removed lots of fishhooks , I had a release form they signed and I had xylocaine on board. I used the Jimmy Houston method and I usually did not have to inject the xylocaine because the med would flow down the imbedded hook. In the wrist I wouldn’t touch it - too many arteries veins & nerves The difficult ones were circle hooks. Depending on where it was , I would usually numb it up and leave the hook in place and put a bandage over the whole wound. I tried not to use the push thru cut off the barb method because that resulted in 2 puncture wounds instead of just 1. Electric reels would hook so many in the ass ! the customer would put the rod in the holder and when the boat rocked the rig would swing behind him and if he hit the button he would hook himself up !

Peapod and Sman, just seeing this and thank you for attempting to protect my integrity.:slight_smile:

I’m not a Dr, those are my initials and I cant edit my user name. Please do not contact me regarding medical issues :slight_smile:
Pathfinder 25 Hybrid