Mercury motor

Seems there’s a lot of Mercury motors on boats now.
We have always loved Yamahas…what do you think or know about Mercury’s?

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

Great motors, the Charleston market has never supported them much though. Demand is very high for them right now.

If you wanna go fast, get a Mercury.

If you wanna get home, get a Yamaha!

I have a Merc 1996 2-stroke 30 hp tiller on my Jon boat knock on wood never had any issues.
Got a Merc 2016 4-stroke 115 hp on my flats boat knock on wood no issues on that one either.
The 115 was re-power and Yamaha was considered very heavily but Mercury price was a lot better at the time. The Mercury is a lot easier to service than Yamaha especially oil change features. I have a Yamaha on my Contender and love it but always keep my mind open and glad I did when I bought the 115 Merc. Go to FL and you will see a lot more Mercs running I expect to see more around here as they continue to improve and they become more readily available.

Local boat dealers sell prerigged packages from manufacturers. manufactures get volume discounts from the motor dealers. Yamaha got in with locals years ago. Hence the dominance in the area. Mercury is dominant in other areas

They all break sooner or later

quote:
Originally posted by P-K

Local boat dealers sell prerigged packages from manufacturers. manufactures get volume discounts from the motor dealers. Yamaha got in with locals years ago. Hence the dominance in the area. Mercury is dominant in other areas

They all break sooner or later

Btw. The best motor I ever owned was a 115 Evinrude OceanPro.

quote:
Originally posted by Half-hitched

If you wanna get home, get a Yamaha!

There are a pile of former 250 and 300hpdi, F350 and f200-225-250 yamaha owners that will tell you that is a lie. Between blown powerheads, replacing flywheels and dry exhaust corrosion yamaha has caused plenty of people to stay off the water. They all have issues at the end of the day.

I looked hard at 150 merc when I was putting my boat together couple years ago. Its a lighter motor and easier for home matinance.
In the end charlseton has more yamaha mechanics in it. So I went yamaha.
Couple of my friends run mercs down in FL and they are great.
Mecury has certainly turned its reputation around.

Sabalo 21 150 Yamaha

Key West Stealth 150 V-max (SOLD)

Amen Salty. Had problems with an HPDI first burning too much oil and almost getting stranded offshore 2X before Yamaha issued a recall. Then lost some time on the water in 2005 due to two blown 250 hp HPDI power heads almost back to back. Yamaha did step up to the plate after some serious encouragement from Milo Hanckle and made me a offer to upgrade to the F250 with a reasonable cash donation from me for the change. Had Milo not have stepped in with over the top customer service and negotiation with Yamaha for me I may still be sitting dead in the water 14-years later. Little did any of know at the time but HAD the swap been for a F225 that year I would now be battling dry exhaust issues, thank goodness no problems with this.

All of them have problems, knowing what models to stay away from by conducting extensive research helps!

P-K I owned a 115 ocean pro that’s actually what the 115 Mercury 4-Stroke replaced. It was a good running but thirsty motor. Carburetor bowls were made of plastic and even with ethanol free fuel they would swell and leak. It got to a point that I was afraid to trim it up when we got somewhere to anchor. Was always afraid I was going to try and crank it and something under the hood would arc then there would be a big kaboom!!

My dad had a 150 Ocean Runner. It ran great till vro Pump died and no oil alarm nothing! It just locked up. I learned my lesson on that and disconnect that cheap diaphragm Pump omc used back then when I got my 115.

They all have problems!!

I’ve owned 3 Yamaha engines. They all had issues.
I’ve owned 6 Mercury engines, 1 had an issue.
I love my current engine, 200 Verado.

218WA Sailfish
200 Verado
The "Penn"sion Plan

quote:
Originally posted by contender1

Amen Salty. Had problems with an HPDI first burning too much oil and almost getting stranded offshore 2X before Yamaha issued a recall. Then lost some time on the water in 2005 due to two blown 250 hp HPDI power heads almost back to back. Yamaha did step up to the plate after some serious encouragement from Milo Hanckle and made me a offer to upgrade to the F250 with a reasonable cash donation from me for the change. Had Milo not have stepped in with over the top customer service and negotiation with Yamaha for me I may still be sitting dead in the water 14-years later. Little did any of know at the time but HAD the swap been for a F225 that year I would now be battling dry exhaust issues, thank goodness no problems with this.

All of them have problems, knowing what models to stay away from by conducting extensive research helps!

F250s of the same era can have the same issues fyi

Yep, mine is right on the edge of years with problems, had a weird overheat issue last year and was afraid that it was dry exhaust issue but figured out instead it was one thermostat stuck open the other stuck shut, a lot cheaper to fix fortunately. According to dealer after running serial numbers they “think” I should be good.

WHAT HALF - HITCHED SAID , IMHO > FAST=MERCURY >> DEPENDABLE= YAMI

George McDonald
US Navy Seabees,Retired,
MAD, Charleston Chapter
[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

My tower of power runs like a striped ass ape but don’t leave it in the boat shed too long.Them mercurys need to be run hard.

Thanks everyone

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

I had a 2004 mercury 150 2 stroke on an aluminum triton bass boat that ran like a stabbed rat. Never had a problem with it.

Hey Penny!

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Hey hey #128075;

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

I have seen some back and forth considerably on this subject. The workhorse older merc 2 strokes are simple to fix and dependable. You know if you’re pushing the limit. It’s like servicing a lawnmower. Yam had some tough years. I saw a friend write off $50k in lost Yamaha engines due to the mentioned exhaust and otherwise issues. That’s tough to swallow. In my limited experience with Verado since the 1st 300 a decade or so ago, they have been on point. I also have friends that love the suzuki for price and reliability. Engine tech as come so far in the last 10 years that I don’t think there is any wrong choice anymore. Everybody stepped up the game. Just like in the boat building business. Hard to find a saltwater boat with plastic lockers anymore because the market demanded everyone go to stainless.