Finally Time to Dump Satellite/Cable TV

With that said, what y’all using??

Gotta have SEC/BIG 10 football, Fishing/Hunting, Fox News:stuck_out_tongue:, yep. For the wife, gotta have those “101 Ways to knock off your Hubby” shows as well[:0].

I’ve heard Netflix and You Tube TV…

Advice is very needed.

Thanks
NN

Look at the programming available on Hulu, YouTube and Sling. Hopefully one of those will have what you want. Add Netflix and you’ll have a ton of programming. A good digital antennae will get you digital signals for local channels.

Pioneer 197SF

I’m all ears on this.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

I am considering doing the same thing. Our Spectrum “bundle” just went over $200/mo. Every time I tell them I don’t want their crappy phone they tell me it will cost more to get less. Not sure how that works. I bought 2 Amazon 4K Firesticks and am looking into streaming services and an HD antenna. Every year or so I have had to go to one of their offices and ***** about prices to get their “promotional” rate. I’m tired of paying for a phone I don’t want and for hundreds of channels I don’t watch. I’ve looked at Sling and YouTube TV as well. They seem to have most of what we watch. Already have Netflix. Personally, if it wasn’t for the news and sports (and a few channels my wife watches), I could do without TV. Keep us posted what you do Glenn.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I’m ready to “cut the cord” myself. Same thoughts as DFreedom on the Charter/Spectrum deal. That being said, I’ve been told, that if you have a Smart T.V. you can download the Charter App. to your phone, blue tooth it to your Smart T.V. and your bill drops to $50.00/month. $79.00/month including wifi. Pluto T.V. operates in a similar fashion, and offers a bunch of channels, with limited advertisements. Pluto is a free App. I’m still researching alternatives, so let me know what you folks are figuring out.

Go to this website and enter your zip code and it will let you know what type of reception you should get with a digital antenna: https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

Of course it’s my opinion. Whose opinion were you expecting?

I have had sling for 4ish years now and while it’s not perfect I definitely prefer it over cable. I have the expanded sports package for my self, the expanded woman/food/craft for my wife then a digital antenna for local and it works well for us.

If you have 30Mbps + WiFi check out the fire stick. I was given one for Christmas. On a couple of “added on” apps any possible tv show ever in existence you can binge watch from show one to the last. Any movie you can think of, just wait a week or two until quality comes up. YouTube getting them jail broke.

I get on my sons Netflix from time to time, more shows and flavors than you could possibly watch in a 24/7 decade.

What dfreedom said about the hd antenna. My brother put up one and gets a great pic on a lot of local stations. Way more distance out of the new digital than the old analog. stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by Blueskyguy

Look at the programming available on Hulu, YouTube and Sling. Hopefully one of those will have what you want. Add Netflix and you’ll have a ton of programming. A good digital antennae will get you digital signals for local channels.

Pioneer 197SF

^^ THIS ^^ If you have cable, … WHY? Seriously though we cut the cable over a year ago and no looking back. We have Firesticks, Sling, Netflix and an HD antenna.

If you followed DFreedoms post about WiFi, we had troubles until we replaced the Spectrum junk router with an Orbi system and we regularly get over 200 Mb/sec download speed on the opposite side of the house now.

1966 13’ Boston Whaler “Flatty”
2018 Sportsman Masters 207
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

Update, dropped Charter today. My internet bill went from $30.00 to $70.00. Picked up Hulu, $41.00/month. I still need an option on internet. Suggestions? I’m still trying, and don’t comprehend/understand the “Orbi system”?

The Orbi is just a wifi router that replaces the one you get from Spectrum. It has a satellite booster that you plug in a free power outlet on the other side of your home. Its very easy to set up and the improvement in wifi speed and stability for us was night and day

1966 13’ Boston Whaler “Flatty”
2018 Sportsman Masters 207
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

Great topic! I live in the sticks up here in Manning and our service sucks! We currently have Spectrum for internet, but went to Dish for TV. I’m not happy with either of them. We switched because of cost, and what’s here is limited. I think FTC is the only other cable provider here.

Dish loses everything every time we get a storm! :angry:

BTW, our phone service sucks too! We have Verizon for our cells, and the signal gets piggybacked on our internet! We lose both often! Am under contract with Verizon, so that will stay, but could certainly use something better for internet!

I’ve lost interest in most current crap on TV, nothing worth watching on there. My wife watches a few things, but even she doesn’t watch as much as she did. Of course “news” is a joke. She checks the local news, but we hardly ever watch anything national.

I’ve lost interest in most sports too, but if there is something out there that shows college/or some world sports, or amateur might check it out. My one son lives with me, he’s dealing with some health issues, and he’s a big rugby fan. He played until his health wouldn’t allow it. I could get into watching it! :smiley:

Anyway, will be checking this out with great anticipation! Thanks!

According to the website I posted a link to, with a digital antenna in Manning, you should get strong reception on CBS, FOX, NBC, and PBS. You would get moderate reception on ABC.

quote:
Originally posted by bigjim5589

Great topic! I live in the sticks up here in Manning and our service sucks! We currently have Spectrum for internet, but went to Dish for TV. I’m not happy with either of them. We switched because of cost, and what’s here is limited. I think FTC is the only other cable provider here.

Dish loses everything every time we get a storm! :angry:

BTW, our phone service sucks too! We have Verizon for our cells, and the signal gets piggybacked on our internet! We lose both often! Am under contract with Verizon, so that will stay, but could certainly use something better for internet!

I’ve lost interest in most current crap on TV, nothing worth watching on there. My wife watches a few things, but even she doesn’t watch as much as she did. Of course “news” is a joke. She checks the local news, but we hardly ever watch anything national.

I’ve lost interest in most sports too, but if there is something out there that shows college/or some world sports, or amateur might check it out. My one son lives with me, he’s dealing with some health issues, and he’s a big rugby fan. He played until his health wouldn’t allow it. I could get into watching it! :smiley:

Anyway, will be checking this out with great anticipation! Thanks!

Of course it’s my opinion. Whose opinion were you expecting?

So just run to Best Buy and get me a Digital Antenna??

Anything special??

Thanks

NN

Wonder if Admin would mind making this a sticky for 30 days:question::question::stuck_out_tongue:

The more that chime in, the better…

NN

Thanks for the link, Surf. 4 bars in the two locations i need it.

NN

Mohu, Winegard amd ClearStream all make good HD antennas.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Mohu, Winegard amd ClearStream all make good HD antennas.

Thank You

NN

How do you handle multiple TVs in the home? Do you need multiple devises or does it all wi-fi from one ■■■■■■■■■, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Fishnengr

How do you handle multiple TVs in the home? Do you need multiple devises or does it all wi-fi from one ■■■■■■■■■, etc.

Would have to have a ■■■■■■■■■ for each tv and a USB port for the ■■■■■■■■■.