Whole house generator system

What do you have?

I have been looking at the generac generator’s, they seem pretty reasonable. I don’t have natural gas so I would have to go with the propane setup.

Double D.

We have a 16Kw natural gas generac. Didn’t need it for this storm. Used it last year when a neighbors tree took out the power line. Took the power company 4 days to get the power reconnected. Glad I had it. The only thing it doesn’t power is our stove and our dryer. Powers everything else in the house including the AC :slight_smile:

vendors for these units?

Columbia / Lexington area

Pioneer 197SF

The cost difference between a 16kW and a 20kW is negligible and the 20kW allows you to power the complete house in most instances. You need to get one that has a automatic transfer switch and a 30 day test cycle where it runs a bit on a monthly basis. Generac’s are the Dodge of the generator world. Kohler, Onan, Cummins etc are a bit more pricy but better units. Typically a 20kW installed and fully wired in with a transfer switch is about $10K when everything is said and done but may vary some depending on location.

Mark
Southport 28TE
2X Yamaha F250
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

We have a Generac. Runs on propane or natural gas. We have natural gas. Our house is a little over 1500 square feet. Just the two of us. It powers most everything in the house, minus the dishwasher and washer and dryer. That was our decision, as we wanted all power in the garage versus the washer and dryer. We have two freezers in the garage and wanted the garage door opener to work.
Ac, stove, microwave fridge,3 TVs, computer, lights, ceiling fans, and on and on, work. Separate panel, remote monitoring, and if it fails, they will pay for hotel stay. Canter Power Systems did the installation. Comes on in less than 15 seconds. Does a test run every Wednesday for a few minutes.
We lost power for 15 minutes, then 11 minutes later on. Well, not us, the neighborhood. First time last Wednesday it was still daylight, but second time it was dark out. No streetlights, totally dark everywhere, except for us. I know the exact times because I received the emails from the remote monitoring. Totally pleased with it.
Someone said it was the “Dodge” version of generators, but it sure is very dependable and we are totally pleased. Best investment ever.

By the way, we have an automatic transfer switch, with a manual if the automatic fails, and a 7 day test cycle, not a 30 day.

Good stuff guys, thanks!

7 day test cycle seems a bit extreme. why so often?

Proline 201WA
Aloha 24ft pontoon (LooneyToon)
Old Town stern with 7.5 johnson

quote:
Originally posted by TheMechanic

Proline 201WA

I’m with ya. I was told with our cell sites it was to help keep fuel burnt, so it could be topped off and kept “fresh”. (All Desiel units) Our units had a trickle charger on the batteries which some do not. Maybe to help keep battery charged??

I think a lot of it has to do with detecting issues before they’re needed.

What happens if you have a test cycle now, something breaks next week, and two weeks from now a hurricane comes?

Just thinking out loud…

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

quote:

Proline 201WA

I believe it is every week to keep the battery charged, and run a diagnostic check.

quote:
Originally posted by NetGirl
quote:

Proline 201WA

I believe it is every week to keep the battery charged, and run a diagnostic check.

Bingo!

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

All the big cat commercial ones I have ever had installed are are on a 1 week cycle, Natural, gasoline or diesl!

32K Generac.Powers my 2800sq ft house.$14 K installed.Have it about 4 years.No problems.had it serviced times.$300 service.Runs everything.

Stonoman