Wando Trout

I wouldn’t say I’m becoming a threat to them, but I have had back to back trips catching seatrout since Dorian. I was fishing grass edges and oysters on the Wando.

I always fall victim to baitfish runs that look like they are being driven down the bank by larger fish, yet can’t say that casting into or ahead of them has ever produced a fish for me. What I saw was different this time though. From 30 yds, I spotted a repeat of surface splashes against the bank. Getting closer, it was clear that there were multiple wakes chasing bait around a small clump of grass.

5 casts later, I had netted 4 trout and a ladyfish. On vudu shrimp under a popping cork, but I doubt the cork was needed. When they wouldn’t hit that anymore, I threw a topwater, even though I suspected the school of 14-18 inchers had moved. Then took a breath.

The next trip, I tried the grass again, but eventually dead ended at a long oyster bank just about to get covered up by the incoming tide. It had big water access on one side, and mud flat on the other. I had live finger mullet under popping cork and on a carolina rig and waited it out. The right cast drifted over the submerged oysters and then made a large circle in the eddy. After a few pops it was game on. I caught a heavy 18" trout, but missed a few others and started to wonder about the hook-up ratio of the circle hooks I was using. So I switched to a zman shrimpz on a jig head. It got rode hard immediately, caught another trout, and then was bit in half, by something that just missed the hook. I kept throwing zmans and topwater lures, but I’m guessing again that the fish had moved on.

Absolutely content, yet have 2 things to improve. Rigging bait for better hook ups and finding multiple spots in one boat trip. Seems like as soon as I get into some fish they are in a hurry to leave.

[img]http://old.charlestonfishing.com/forum/uploaded/feitonthefly/20199

Next time when they stop biting find the next spot up the shore line that looks fishy. They will come by, or sometimes they just go deeper at the same location. Little fish nip the find of mullet and the schools run. I’ve seen a half dollar size pinfish bully a school of 6 inch mullet down a bank. Trout have big eyes and will go for bait much bigger than them. So you were probably missing some hungry little guys. When they leave teeth marks that’s when you missed a good trout.

Nice report. Seems I have the same issue. I get on them catch a few and they seem to vanish. I struggle to get bit then, I’m guessing I should move down the bank up current?

I felt like Ralph Phillips Jr on Friday… put a solid beat down on some Wando trout. 1 at 16" the rest were dinks but there was a LOT of em.

Gheenoe LT 25
“Christie Belle”

www.theredfishchronicles.com

Thanks 40 and mbs. I’m marking spots and soon I’ll have a route to follow on an incoming tide.
The mullet I had for bait were all about 6" and with a circle hook through the lip I knew it wasn’t a great rig for those small trout. Guess I was hoping for a red. Is there a better hook to use for live bait under a popping cork?

#FEITCLUB
Key West 177SK
Yamaha 70hp

If I’m not holding the rod I use a #1 or 1/0 circle hook but if I’m holding it I use a short shank #1 or 1/0 j hook. If your in a good area with fish cut the tail off and it will limp around with a blood trail. Sometimes I will cut them in half and hook the head like it’s live and they usually get hit really fast.

You rock 40! I’ll be using those suggestions tomorrow am on the incoming.

#FEITCLUB
Key West 177SK
Yamaha 70hp