Shrimping Noob - help keep me from frustration

bigsmile Tried shrimping with my brother Friday night on the backside of Folly in Green Creek. I figured it was closer to the ocean and hopefully less affected by the fresh water inundation from the Hurricane near miss. Anyway, found a flat spot on the inside of an elbow in the creek not too far from the mouth, made a couple of test throws and picked out some small to mid sized shrimp, and figured that was a good sign. We then set out poles in about 4' of water on an outgoing tide in that spot - threw out bait balls (the premixed stuff). We ran that spot for several hours and got practically nothing (less than before we baited) - we were throwing on the bottom of the outgoing, absolute low, and bottom of the incoming tide and had very little to show for our effort. What might we have gotten wrong?

• Bad location?
  • Not enough current with the period that we chose? Should we choose a stronger current tide period?
  • Does it matter incoming/outgoing?
  • Is the premix shrimp bait garbage?

Hoping to try again the weekend of 10/5 and wishing to have something to show for the effort! Any insight you guys could provide would be gratefully appreciated! Thanks in advance.

JK

Jake Kohl
Last edited by SYSH
Replies

• <<
  • <
  • of 2 pages
always did a 50:50 mix of meal to clay, anything less and we could tell it was falling apart pretty fast.

a good trick i learned a while back was to make really big bait balls, then pull them in half and just pat them into a nice hemisphere. they sink round side down (mostly straight down as opposed to pancakes which flutter and may hit the bottom somewhere else). then the first time the lead line tickles them, it flips them over onto the flat side and they should stay right there for the duration.

also, cat litter buckets fit in the corners of the boat real nice like. bigsmile
Jake - Your earlier post mentioned a 3/8" net. I recommend not having that net on the boat if baiting shrimp. Per the regs: Cast nets used for taking shrimp over bait must have a minimum mesh size of 1/2-inch square (1-inch stretch).

Regards
" I think the most I got in one toss (8' net w/ 3/8" mesh) was 8 "

The minimum mesh size is 1/2" for baiting. Just trying to help.

Rob
Triumph 17
Honda 75
A 3/8" net is fine anytime unless you are baiting for shrimp. Better not even have it in the boat if you are setting poles.

BadBob

Polar 1910 BB 150 Johnson
"Convict Hunter"

If you ain't the lead dog then the scenery never changes
Thanks for the feedback everyone! And thanks for pointing out the mesh size requirement. For some reason I incorrectly read the rules as a one inch "Maximum" mesh size and not "Minimum" as worded. Glad it didn't cause a legal issue!

Jake Kohl
Hewes RF16

• <<
  • <
  • of 2 pages