Fish "tails" and pluff mudd

Decided to do a little fishing Friday…and take Roo to the beach.
Got on the folly about 630…early morning looked to be bringing a beautiful day with it.
Small mullet everywhere… but wanted some shrimp…so armed with a small cast net had Donnie put me out at the mouth of a drain that I trudged my way up in…knowing there was a hole at the end of it that often held bait on low tide.
First cast I thought I had hung up on the bottom and then the net started moving and me too…lol… Finally managed to pull it to the bank and there were about a dozen huge mullet inside.
Have a friend who likes them for his crab pots so emptied them out onto the muddy bank where I stood.
Not a good or smart move .on my part

As they flopped and jumped around …with me trying to catch them…and nothing to put them in…I quickly turned into a walking pluff Mudd creature.
I was covered from Head to toe! Took off the T-shirt I had on under my fishing shirt and tied it to make a sack for them…sometimes you just have to work with what you have…and laughed at what Donnie would say when he saw me this way.
It was certainly going to remind him of my crabbing days with daddy and me coming home smelling and looking like the bait and traps I had handled all day.
Did manage to catch some shrimp, and minnows and headed back to the boat…
Donnie just shook his head and asked me if I had fallen down again when he saw me…I told him I had been attacked by mullet:smiley:
Washed off as best I could and off we went.
Fished several banks and docks I like to fish…and a couple new spots…mostly with the bait under a cork…threw a grub and trout trick a few times too

Caught reds, trout, pinfish…nasty little bait snatchers…a few small black fish, puffer fish and one of the biggest dang toad fish I had ever seen.
Hooked something that hit the bait as soon as that Finger mullet hit the water…and I was never able to turn it.
Didn’t run like a shark or huge Ray…w

I had to chuckle while reading your report,that’s why I don’t get out of the boat much anymore.Only to get clams.

Penny, thanks for shareing. Great to see your storys and picts again. Know what you feel when you see the gull!

Well this particular drain is only accessible on foot…and a easy walk…but next time I will definately take a bag and know better in my excitement then to put flopping fish on a saoft Mudd bank:face_with_head_bandage::sunglasses:
I’ve never minded a little Mudd though…much to Donnies dismay.
:smiley:

miss'n fish'n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

Fun read thanks! Not too many worse feelings than loosing a fish on the line like that… but at least you got out there and had a good time! :+1:

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!