New one on me

I took this smaller 8 point this morning, neck shot at 7:00 am.

Check the time stamp on all the pics.

I’m more impressed you killed it with a shovel lol

"Good things come to those who bait"

You got some tame deer round there :+1::+1:

Uggg me get meat, me use shovel to hold down electric fence so me no sing high notes of pain…

Can we post shot pics on here or are they too bloody??

get as bloody as u want. this is a hunting site

Hunting, fishing, and poker are my sports. Work when necessary.

I almost feel that those hollow tip shovel points are traveling at such lightning speed that it was a clean pass through…bad for blood trails though! Hope DNR doesn’t change the law again and say we have to start using those 15.0 lb. grain ballistic tip flatless point shovels on deer next year because they absolutely tenderize the meat upon impact. That second buck has learned that he who eatith thy corn without proper ID shall be banished from the property line, so sayeth the Lowe’s

"If you can't fix a woman, chase some tail with fins and fur!!!"

2008 Sea Pro 1900cc w/115

(2) Daughters that make the boys cry

(1) wife that makes her husband take the kids outdoors to chase their dreams!

You hear people all the time talk about what kind of cannon is needed to take a deer.
120 yards
243 cal
SHOT PLACEMENT

One pierced ear

Didn’t hurt long…

middle of the road buck

That is a cool rack. Do you have a better pic of it?

I am going to attempt a euro mount. Never tried one but gotta learn. Send more pics when I have them.

Anyone have advise on euro mounts??

European mounts are easy. Ive done several myself and they turnedout great. I skinned and picked off as much meat as I could from the skull before I placed it in a large pot of water that I brought to a boil. Let it simmer in the pot like a stew and then pick off whatever doesnt fall off. Once its clean soak it in peroxide. Its easy to do but time consuming. All of mine look professionally done.

Capt. R. Killin 21 Contender "Killin Time"

“SHOT PLACEMENT”…Amen!!!

"You don't always know where you stand till you know that you won't run away." ~Slipknot

How do you stabilize the bone to keep it from becoming brittle? When I make stock (same method) the bone come out soft and very brittle.

Skin the head out…boil ( enough to keep the water bubbling but not raging hot ) with a little Dawn dish soap…once the meat starts to come out without to much effort, use a pressure washer to blast it off, just be careful around the nasal cavity where the bones are thin. Then peroxide but don’t get any on the antlers.

You hear people all the time talk about what kind of cannon is needed to take a deer.
120 yards
243 cal
SHOT PLACEMENT

Old man I used to hunt with ( when I was a young man ) only used a 22 mag rifle for Deer. Never took a shot past 100 yards, and killed everything he shot DRT with a brain shot. He finally started using a - Magnum - when his son bought him a 22 Hornet…:smiley:

[quote]You hear people all the time talk about what kind of cannon is needed to take a deer.
120 yards
243 cal
SHOT PLACEMENT

Yes sir, shot placement. If I said how many deer have been taken by a .17 many would be skeptical… 100 yard and right by the ear, seldom travel beyond 10 yards. This one was a .556 ballistic tip. Dang doe ran 60 yards with no heart or front shoulder. Would it have not been better for a .243 in the head? For meat purposes… yes.

You are so correct on the SHOT PLACEMENT. Have not done it yet, but I will. .458 socom (still monkeying with grain… thinking of 500 hollow point) in the head.

This is the second deer I’ve shot facing me this season. The first one ran 30 yards. This one did not run one inch. Fell straight down. My best shot ever.

When you wonder where the big ones are look back at your camera roll, they all got shot when they were 2.5.

Only big one’s the rest of the year.
At least I have not had to call you to help me drag them out. That’s progress:smiley:

Lol, true.