Mad 2019 report

We headed out for surf trip with the Solider’s on Saturday. It was a stunningly beautiful day and all had a good time. We departed from Ripley light marina at 830 am and headed to Morris Island for a day of fishing with the troops. Upon arrival it was clear the beach access was blocked off due to tides and we were going to have to go through the woods. The woods were extremely thick and riddled with thorns, stickers and heavy brush. To complicate things a little more we had to get through them with huge surf rods and all our gear which was fine. It just added a little tina to the trip. Busting through we hit beach and spread out and did our best to put the soldiers on the fish. As always Morris proved to be a challenge regarding landing fish. The soldiers did get plenty of action but it wasn’t because the reds were running, the sharks were out. Only 3 small reds were caught by the entire group. Personally I hammured that beach with fresh mullet from the time I got there untill we left. The reds just weren’t running. Mostly whiting, rays and sharks were landed. There was plenty of bait popping on the water, birds hitting pods, and the dolphin were going nuts, they were everywhere. I had 5 pull downs throughout the day that all ended up being sharks. Several peeling of some heavy runs. Each rod was passed off to a young man named Jake who was in the navy. Jake did a great job and landed all the sharks on a 60 pound mono red rig except for one which bit us off. He hooked them in the corner of the mouth and he put it to them. Jake was positioned between Harry and I, so he got plenty of action throughout the day between the two of us. Landing rays, whiting, a small red and his fill of sharks. Captain Jeff of Oldman charters pulled the big fish prize for the day, with a beautiful Amberjack. His troop was unable to make the dinner to accept the prize, so Jake was next in line and got a huge honey baked ham and killer bag of smoked bacon. The boat guys slayed it as usual and hammered the fish. The biggest red

Well done summary Pete. Thanks for coordinating and leading the surf group.

Yes, definitely well done! I spoke with that one younger guy at the dinner… he had a great time! Thanks again!

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!