FMNF 10-26

Been doing more WMA hunting this year. Had a few unsuccessful archery hunts at Donnelley and Hellhole. I did find a nice area in Hellhole during an archery trip a few weeks ago, a nice spot on the edge of a large swamp, with a higher pine ridge and a thicket on either side. Quite a few scrapes and a couple of rubs at this intersection, close to .5 mile deep into the swamp. Got settled in the climber around 7am, not much happening besides a few squirrels and some turkey hens back behind me. Little after 9 I hear a couple cracks from an animal running. Got the gun up and “meh’d” at a doe as she came trotting past me. Shot her and she ran about 60 yards. Was hoping maybe a buck was after her but it turned out to be a stray dog, miles away from any houses… Anyways, went ahead and gutted her to make the drag out easier. Used a short roped attached to my safety harness and it wasnt too bad, a big buck would be a different story. Might go back and wait for a buck next time.

Nice job on the freezer queen!

"You don't always know where you stand till you know that you won't run away." ~Slipknot