New scope for old eyes

Hey guys,

What scope gives the best low light and 250 yds range ?

243, 5.56, or 30/30 rifle
47, near sighted, tired, lazy shooter

Thanks

.308 here with Leupold 4.5X14-50 SF and old eyes. It does the job.

.308 here as well. I have a Weaver Super Slam 3-15-50. It’s my favorite scope out of all the scopes I’ve owned

There is no substitute for hard work-Thomas A Edison

I have a weaver super slam 4x20x50 30mm for sale. $400.

Also a leupold VX-L 4.5x14x50 for $550. Has cds installed

Trijicon 4x20x50 accupoint for $700

2 month old burris eliminator $850

Tall Sail Marine

I used to use Leupold exclusively but over the past few years, I’ve added Vortex to my collection. I like the VX3i or higher Leupold scopes and the Viper HS or higher in the Vortex.

"You don't always know where you stand till you know that you won't run away." ~Slipknot

For 5.56 its hard to beat a Vortex strike eagle. I doubt anyone who has one mounted on their Ar will disagree.

30-30 lever guns are well balanced, quick to point and shoot . You can screw up the benefits of having one with a big bulky scope. I know this because I had a 40mm 3x9 tube on my marlin before I got a small 1x6 30mm Nikon. The smaller, low profile tube suits a lever gun well.

You will see everyone has their brand. The big reputable names are all pretty good. The larger the objective the better it will gather light in dim conditions. Look at Redfield. For the price its a bad A scope. Ive got plenty of pics on here that my Redfield and X bolt contributed to.

After typing all that I feel like this is going to be one of those Ford vs Chevy things… Good luck!

Capt. R. Killin 21 Contender "Killin Time"

I’ve got a mid 70’s Redfield illuminator that I love, it is fantastic in low light. I thought they went out of business? As for the Ford vs Chevy… Not so much anymore for me they all have their goods and bads, Heck I’ve even got a Dodge 5500 and owned several Toyota’s. Would have never thought that.

Reelshock for that 250 yard range I’d look for something with a high magnification… Not sure your price range, but a good economical choice maybe a Bushnell engage 6 X 24 X50. I may take some ribbing from some, but I’ve had good service out of a few Bushnell’s. Optics on most all scopes have come a long way over the past 10 years. Maybe even look at some lighted recitals for those tired eyes:smiley:.

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Engage-Riflescope-6-24x50mm-Matte/dp/B079Y6SH4X/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&hvadid=77653062676142&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvqmt=b&keywords=bushnell+6x24x50&qid=1572704236&sr=8-2

it all goes back to quality of the glass and coatings. Leica, Leupold VX5hd, Meopta Meostar, Swarovski, a some others are really really nice glass, everything vortex makes is garbage except the Razor line and if I was spending razor money Id get another nightforce. Trying to ball on a budget and shoot deer late at 250 yards isn’t going to happen. I sat with a leupold 3-15x44 VX-5HD the other evening and I will admit I was wrong about that scope a few years back, that glass is pretty awesome and you can dial the illuminated dot down pretty dim and see enough to make plenty of mistakes right at dark. I found seeing real late has its negatives, you will mess up and shoot the wrong deer, deer you normally couldn’t have seen.

I’m frustrated at deer coming out right at dusk that I can’t make out what they are with my 3x9x40 Vortex Crossfire so I ordered a Leupold VX3i 3.5x10x50.
Look out deer! ( I hope ) 10X should be enough, any shots from my stands are 70-110 yards.

Have you ever thought of investing in a quality pair of binoculars?

binoculars? yes, in fact that’s another reason I bought another scope. I can see the deer in my Nikon binoculars well enough to make out who’s who but they seem to come out in groups at dusk and when I get back on them with the scope I simply can’t be certain I would be shooting the one I want.