Seeding Your Lawn

If you were to over-seed you lawn, what type of grass would you pick and why? I’m “pretty sure” my lawn is full of centipede and St Augustine (and weeds). I did a nice run with some weed and seed and I want to add some seed to the yard now so it can come back better next year. What say you??:question:

Right now you can use winter ryegrass, it will be green all winter. As far as seeding you may want to contact the Clemson extension for an answer.

Double D.

If you used a “weed and seed”, why are you asking about seed types? Read the label on the bag and it will tell you.

Perhaps you applied “weed and feed”? If so, you applied a pre-emergent,that will prevent all seed from germinating for about a month.

Annual rye grass is what most folks overseed with fall-winter, I personally wouldn’t use it on a lawn, because it will linger into the warm growing season , and compete with your centipede and St. Augie. Roadsides and ditchbanks are perfect for annual rye, they green up an area that normally would be dead in the winter,and help with erosion control.

Yea good catch. I meant weed and feed. My bad. I’m not looking for a green lawn all winter, just to make it thicker nicer and greener in the spring. So after a month or so, spread out some more st Augustine and let her ride you think?
I guess my question should be rephrased to ask which grass looks and feels better through the spring and summer?

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!

Both St. Augie and centipede have the potential to look incredible, but they need proper water and nutrients, which can get crazy expensive if you’re on city water. I know some folks who had water bills over $1,700 this past season , when it was 98 degrees and didn’t rain for 5 weeks.

If you have a Possums nearby, take them a soil sample in March, and they will recommend what nutrients you will need. Most times if you get a healthy stand of grass, it twill last longer and look better when conditions get tough. Normal rainfall can be the best for your lawn, but that seldom happens anymore.

Been in turf management for close to 40 years. Centipede is a finickly grass,haven’t dealt much with St.augustine so I won’t go there.Careful with any weed and feed on centipede, it does NOT like 2-4 D ,MCPP and many other broadleaf herbicides in weed and feed,personally I think weed and feed is the biggest racket in the south ever and many yards have suffered or died out over it’s use.Atrazine and/or princep are a better choice if you need broadleaf weed control. Vantage(or poast) can be applied to centipede to control grassy weeds(crabgrass,common Bermuda,etc.). It also does not like a lot of fertilizer, a good choice is old timey “tobacco fertilizer”. If overseeding in winter use only annual rye,perrenial rye or any type of fesques and your yard will suffer dramatically come spring green-up. As far as seeding,clean up any weeds you have now,(you’ll still have winter annuals but they will die out) and after any chance of frost has passed(ideally when we start seeing 60 degree nights in the spring) then rent a slicer you can pull behind a mower(most rental places have them) , slice your yard and apply your seed(preferably before a rain). The seed will wash into the slices and vastly improve germination. It will then spread and cover in 6-8 weeks before it gets too hot and dry.There have been many opinions on seeding warm season grasses and letting it sit on the lawn during the winter, I personally would not do it,better to wait for ideal conditions for quick germination.Hope this helps you and others out.

Thanks for that info billy mac.

Good thread. Thank you

Billy Mac, are there any sources to buy TifTuf seed? Seems to be only available in sod. What’s your opinion of it?

Bayrider,it’s a new hybrid variety that is touted for it’s drought tolerance and stays green longer than other varieties.Not available from seed,they develop and sprig these new hybrids,hence available in sod only.I believe there are 2 sod farms in SC that grow it. If looking for a good drought tolerant seeded variety take a peak at Sahara II. It’s a very good Bermuda,especially for a home lawn and I’ve had great results with it.

Thanks for the info billymac!

Can you elaborate on the downside to using fescues that you mentioned?

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!

Based on your wealth of experience how do you get rid of annual blue grass / POA? I have zoysia companion and that clumpy @$$ weed is a royal pain in the back side.

You gonna talk or FISH!

Fesque is a cool season grass,if you were to overseed using it you would end up suppressing centipede and you would have patchy fesque throughout your lawn from say may through early sept. Fesque is a bunch grass that doesn’t totally burn out like annual rye does,most will but some will survive and you’ll end up with a hot mess all summer.It’s a shame we can’t grow it year round because it makes for a awesome lawn…up north!