best/worse week

Saw 13 bucks over last 5 days. 5 shooters, 4 really good and one really great. Shot at 4, That is the BEST part. The WORSE part is I missed all fo them.:question: Sighted gun in and found it was off target by 12" to the right. How the hell did that happen. This is the same gun I used the previous week to drop 2 from head-on shots in the heart. Then to make matters worse, I borrowed a gun from a buddy. His scope goes from 3-15 power. My scope only goes from 3-9. I get to my stand at first light and before I can climb in I see a deer at the corn. Put gun on ladder and look through scope and the deer looks huge. I shoot him and he drops. Walk over and he is a 6 pt. I had the dam scope on 15 power. Talk about ground shrinkage. At least it was an exciting weak.:smiley:

I’d be a big liar if I said I’ve never missed a deer. I will say any misses I’ve ever had I always rechecked my scope before hunting with it again. That said, I lock tight all mounting hardware on my scope. I’ve seen some cheaper scopes get off from heavy gun recoil. If you’ve been very careful not to knock your gun around, I’d look into a scope replacement. :question:

If you use quality optics in quality mounts “knocking” the scope off should never be an issue, ever. My 4 year old stood on my rifle in a soft case a few weeks ago getting into his car seat and I shot one at 236yds an hour later. Things happen, be prepared. Hate it for you ray!

Did you ever verify if your scope was off? Just curious. If not, don’t take this the wrong way, but I have seen many hunters in my life not be able to control breathing and the “shakes” while taking aim on a “live” target (especially a nice Buck). Just a tiny shake or hard pull/jerk can put a projectile feet off @ 100yards. If you notice yourself shaking, pull away from the scope and relax, maybe even check your pulse. The longer you try and aim the worse things usually get. Much better to let one walk than wound one. While bench shooting try keeping both eyes open and always let the shot be a surprise. When you actually see red in the scope after the shot you are there. So many anticipate a shot, maybe even drop down to a .243 with less recoil? When you know you are ready for the shot take in a nice big breath let out half and slowly squeeze. :smiley: Please understand, I come off wrong to many in written word, no way am I trying to be a smart azz. Just four in a row, sounds a bit much. I still like to practice aiming on most everything that walks out if I’m stand hunting. Looking situation over, neck shot, chest shot, eye ball shot… I’ve even put markers on my feeders and near by trees to judge deer height. I still miss judge size if only one deer comes out.

Don’t worry about getting on him to hard Fred, he called me Sunday evening and I Chopped him pretty good! He did find his rifle to be off Monday though. What he needs to do is give me about 2500$ to work with and he will never be able to blame his equipment again!

Fred Scope was off 8-12" to the right. Had a buddy verify as he shot it also and it missed 12" to the right on him.
I sighted it in a month before and shot group about 2" at 100yds.
I did shoot two bucks last month head on shots and both dropped in their tracks.
I will take all the advice I can get. I’ve made every mistake that you listed.
Of course, they were all facing to the right. If they were facing left I would at least have made a gut shot on the first one and figured something was up.
There is no question that adrenalin was pumping on the monster, but not on the other 3. And you can’t bust my balls more than Salty does:smiley:

Hunting, fishing, and poker are my sports. Work when necessary.

Salty sounds like a mess! :smiley: Crazy thing this year, I’ve helped on more no blood searches only to find scopes off than I ever remember. Some old timers breaking out rifles that they assumed were on the mark, but were not.

It took me a bit as a youth to gain some good confidence in my shots. As a middle aged man, I still know I suck at a free stance shot and will always look for a rest or brace. Put me in a Dove field and I’ll be lucky to get one for three or four shots.

Salty’s right on the money issue, better gear will cost you more, but it will be worth it in the long run. Good luck out there Partership!

Have not hunted in years. Never had a scope. Had a 1960s something Winchester 30-30 lever action. Killed several deer with it. Thought I was John Wayne. Was moving about 25 years ago. Left it leaning on the truck. Wife moved the truck yep you guessed it… no more gun. And imagine this.hunting season I would have it in the back window of my truck at school.

I am fragile. Not like a flower. But like a bomb.

Graduated in 1985. We were told we couldn’t have guns in personal vehicles in 84. We just put em in the trunk or behind the seat.