Gun smith for Arisaka

Have my grandfathers Arisaka 38. Anybody want to recommend a gun smith that may give me the go ahead on using the rifle? It’s in very good condition and appears to be all good but I’d love to have a more experienced eye on it. Thanks in advance.
Chris

Finding a REAL gunsmith isn’t all that easy anymore. The only 2 I knew of in the Midlands have retired (or died) the last time I checked. A lot of people claim to be gunsmiths but have only attended an armorer’s class or something like that. Hopefully someone down there knows of one. I’ll ask around up here. Maybe Leadenwah knows of one.

That’s a pretty cool rifle. A friend of mine has one his dad “picked up” when he was serving in WWII.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

The last “real” gunsmith I used was a man in either Williams or Smokes, did a fantastic job and very reasonable. I’ll ask around and see if he is still working. Maybe someone will chime in. I’m with Dfreedom, very few gunsmiths left. ATP in Summerville couldn’t even change out sights on a Ruger Mark III I purchased from them a few years ago. The days of servicing what you sell are almost gone.

Also Nick Woovis , in Walterboro, used to be fantastic not sure if he is still piddling with Guns? I know he’s still alive, but up in age. The old War era rifles used to be his specialty.

Unfortunately you guys are reassuring what I thought. Seems real gunsmiths are few and far between. I’m going to ask around at the next gun show at the end of this month.

My grandfather spent much of WW2 in the Philippines. After the bombs he was part of the first army of occupation in Japan. He sent the Arisaka and an officer’s sword home. My grandmother was very surprised to open that box.

Karma is 360 degrees

“If fishing were easy it would be called your mom”

Karma is 360 degrees

“If fishing were easy it would be called your mom”

If you’re in the midlands give Amick’s a shout. I haven’t personally used him, but I know several folks that swear by him that are competitive shooters, as well as others that give good reports on them. https://amicksguns.com

You gonna talk or FISH!

Is it a 6.5 or a 7.7? A buddy of mine is the rangemaster at the criminal justice academy and way into guns. He said those arisakas are pretty stout but caliber matters. He also said Amicks is pretty good.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?