Trout trolling/ sheepshead fishing

Sheepshead fishing
I went fishing Sunday and Monday at two different locations with different tactics. I had a lot of shellfish chum from the other day so I went sheepshead fishing Sunday. I dumped the chum in and rigged my bait and had some bites pretty quick but I must of had fifty hits before I finally I hooked up. I think it was small sheep head and I finally hooked one of the bigger ones but it pulled hooks and I didn’t get another bite for a while. But then the bite changed and didn’t feel like sheephead. Well it wasn’t, it was small black drum and it was a slow bite and then it turned on for like 5 minutes and it was a fish every drop. I probably caught 10 or so drum total but like 5 were on back to back drop downs.
The bite was best around the start of mid tide right when the tide started moving good but not at full rip. I was fishing a area that gets heavy current and fished the incoming tide for about 3hrs. I fished a double drop rig because I only had one decent egg sinker for a Carolina rig.

The no ttop zone. I was anchored and drifted under the dock with the current, I was not touching any part of the dock.

A whopping 13 inches

Trolling
I wanted to try mounting the transom mount trolling motor on the bow and having my motor on the back to get to further locations and troll. So I went to test it out Monday afternoon. I built a mount for the front and I forgot to spin the head around on my trolling motor so I had to do it on the water and it really wasn’t hard. I started trolling and caught a dink in about 3 minutes. I got some larger baits and wanted some longer jigs but when I bought the the head was behind the label so I couldn’t see they were shaky heads. With the beside the boat test I thi

Good stuff 40… I can appreciate the effort! Couple of bites doesn’t hurt either. :+1:

So was it the color that made the most difference or the jig style? I couldn’t quite tell in your report- possibly due to my reading comprehension lol

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!

I think the color made the difference do to light conditions. I think with the brighter conditions and lower dirtier water the white was better but as it got later the green got more hits. I probably caught about 10 trout with the biggest about 13 inches and I lost/ missed about 5 or so. I blew both double ups I had. I was fishing two rods at a time and the way they head shake with soft mouths you lose them pretty easily. I was going the same speed I usually do and had to go faster then I wanted when going with the tide to keep the jigs off the bottom but the trout hit about equally going with or against the tide. Against the tide I probably go .5mph and I probably go around 1.5 with the tide.