Buck Hall Recreation Area

I live in the upstate but I’m interested in inshore saltwater fishing and trying to learn more about it and gain experience. My wife and I camped in our RV at James Island County Park during the first week of November. The crabbing was good at James Island County Park; however, I was disappointed in the fishing. I’m looking for a different place to try fishing this year during a week of vacation. I just found out about Buck Hall Recreation Area but can’t find any information about the fishing. Just wondering if anyone on the forum has fished at Buck Hall and if so, how was the fishing and what would you recommend. I know there’s a small pier located on the property and other than fishing from the bank the pier is the only other option I’ll have since I won’t have a boat with me. Thanks in advance for any information and recommendations anyone can give.

Charles Campbell

You might want to try the pier at Mt Pleasant besid of the Ravenel bridge or at the old structure at Pitt street…Being as you camp on James Is its just a few miles on down to the Folly beach pier , also good surf fishing on folly beach…

George McDonald US Navy Seabees,Retired, MAD, Charleston Chapter [http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

Thanks Gail Wins but the problem I have is we only take the RV with us, no other vehicle, so once we set up camp that’s where we’re at to stay for a week. I’ve heard Mt. Pleasant Pier is great but I don’t think they have parking spaces for the RV. If I can find a way to transport a kayak on the RV that may increase my chances since Buck Hall is on the ICW. What do you think about using a kayak there?

Charles Campbell

Buck Hall would work with a kayak but is a haul from where your camping , if I was thinking BH i would just camp there and save the drive… If you are camping JI you could put kayak in at Wapoo cut landing at JI , there is tons of docks and structure twords the harbor and I’m sure there would be ample parkingfor your RV, just my 2cts worth…I don’t know your plans or budget but for a fishing blast call Jeff Thompson ( ole man charters ) and book a day trip 843 478 1538 … Jeff sometimes has charters and needs 1-2 fishermen/women that are willing to share expenses…

George McDonald US Navy Seabees,Retired, MAD, Charleston Chapter [http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

author unknown

Hey Cambo this is BadBob from Anderson. We have communicated on here before.
Getting to Buck Hall area from James Island would take you at least an hour to drive there. If I was going to fish that area I would stay at the Buck Hall camp ground. I haven’t been there in a long time but the best that I can remember is that there are some camp sites right on the water. The ICW flows past the campground and has access to Bulls Bay.
When I shrimp Bulls Bay I put in at the Buck Hall boat ramp.
I can’t tell you much about fishing that area but look for threads on the forum for Bulls Bay. You might get some good info that way.
Also if you camp in that area make sure that you take everything that you will need because you are in the middle of nowhere.
I hope the crappie fishing on Secession is better this spring than last year.

BadBob

Polar 1910 BB 150 Johnson
“Convict Hunter”

If you ain’t the lead dog then the scenery never changes

Solid advice from BADBOB

author unknown

Gail Wins and BADBOB thanks for the advice. That was my thinking, to camp at Buck Hall because it is very close to the ICW. Once I get to where I’m going and get the RV set up, I don’t move it until we’re ready to come back home, we don’t take an extra vehicle with us so I don’t have a way to drive around from one place to another place. I camped at JI this past November and although the park itself is very nice, the fishing wasn’t good. I’m looking for a RV camping spot that’s very near the water with good fishing. Gail Wins, I see you were a Seabee, I was a Seabee as well for 24 years (1982-2006) in the US Navy Reserve. I was in NMCB 24 for two years and NMCB 14 for twenty-two years with an active duty tour to Iraq in 2004 for Operation Iraqi Freedom. BADBOB, I caught a few crappie off my dock. My boat has been out of commission so I wasn’t able to to get out on the lake to get after them but I know a few people who did pretty well on the crappie this year.

Charles Campbell

The campground is right on the intracoastal

Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha 250

CAMBO ; BUCK HALL IS ON THE ICW, GO NORTH ABOUT 1/2 MILE AND THERE ARE 3 CREEKS THAT CROSS INTO BULLS BAY THE FIRST CREEK HAS 2-3 FEEDER / TIDAL CREEKS ON THE RIGHT THAT MEANDER/SNAKE INTO THE MARSH FOR 1/2/3/4 MILE THAT HAS NUMEROUS FLATS AND OYSTER RAKES FOR TROUT / REDS AND FLOUNDER , THESE ARE IDEAL FOR YAK FISHING… IF YOU GO SOUTH FROM BH 3/4 MILE THERE IS ANOTHER TIDAL CREEK THAT DOSEN’T ACCESS THE BAY BUT IS ALSO YAK WATER FOR TROUT ECT,ECT… AS NOTED ABOVE IF YOU CAMP BH GO FULLY LOADED TO STAY CAUSE THERE ISN’T ANY CONVIENANCE STORES NEAR BY LAST TIME I WAS THERE . :smiley::smiley::smiley: WE’LL CHAT ABOUT THE BEES LATER…

author unknown

Thanks Gail Wins that sounds great! Do you think the first or second week of October will be a good time for Trout, Reds and Flounder?

Charles Campbell

Oct. Nov. the bite for trout , flounder and reds is usually hot… December still good for reds and trout but usually not so hot for flounder… Bulls Bay is a great fishery most year round but is shallow and troublesome, especially on low tide and deep draft boats ((( rode out more than one tide cycle on a flat waiting on rising tide))) … A lot of tarpon are caught in summer there and some monster bull reds . I’ve seen quite a few yakers fishing it since yaks can deal with the shallows…
On the subject of the Bees, yep i’m a retired bee 68 - 96 … MCB 71 , 21st NCR , MCB 24 , and Support Unit 3 …
Do/did you know a CM chief Farley in MCB 24 ?? He’s a close friend of mine and also a avid fisherman …
BTW thank you for your service ;;; maybe we can wet a hook together sometime , I ocasionally fish down your way…

author unknown

Cambo one think to keep in mind about Buck Hall in October is that it fills up with Shrimpers. If you plan to go during that time you will want to get your reservation really early before all the spots get gone.

BadBob

“Convict Hunter”

Badbobflyfishing I checked the 2020 availability and every RV site has already been reserved for the entire year. There are tent sites available; however, my wife wants to take the RV instead of tent camping. Now I’m thinking about going to either Edisto State Park or Hunting Island State Park. We’ve RV camped at Edisto State Park several times and we love it there; however, like I said before, we only take our RV (no extra vehicle) and once we get the RV set up we don’t move it until it’s time to come back home. We take our bicycles and ride them from the camping area to the Scott’s Creek but it’s a little inconvenient carrying fishing rods on bicycles through the woods. We’ve never camped at Hunting Island so maybe we’ll give it a try this year. You have any knowledge about Hunting Island? Thanks!

Charles Campbell

Hunting Is campground in particular suffered severe damages from 2 storms back to back. It used to be probably the best beach CG in SC. There’s a landing close by and a pier but the pier was also damaged. Not sure if it’s completely opened. Great place but not like before. The pucker factor crossing the last bridge is high! It’s very, very narrow. Couple of decent places to eat on the causeway. Gay Seafood is there for fresh stuff if you’re cooking. Closest grocery is back towards Beaufort so bring what you need.

Thanks Reelscape. I’ll give Hunting Island State Park and ask them about the current condition of the pier or will it be repaired by October.

Charles Campbell

Huntington gets big reds in the surf in the fall.

I caught my biggest bull red (40+in) off that pier before the storms. Its a beautiful area, a shame it took so much damage from Matthew and Irene.

Scout 175 Sportfish 90 HP Yamaha

Sorry Cambo but I don’t know anything about Edisto or Hunting Island campgrounds. I made my first trip to Edisto back in November but did not get to fish but one day because of the weather. Sucks to pull a boat all the way to the coast and only get to put it in the water one time.
Hope you figure something out.

BadBob

“Convict Hunter”

Last I heard Hunting Is. pier is back open and plenty of tent sites avail , can’t say about rv ;; check out their web site for up to date info !!!

author unknown