Ghost Guns??

I’ve been reading about “ghost” guns (receivers finished less then 80%). Has anyone here on CF built an AR using an 80% receiver? If so, I’d like to pick your brain as I am contemplating trying to do one. I have access to jigs, tools, etc. Biggest question is, did you start with a “raw” lower or was it already anodized and if it was anodized, what do you do about the parts that are no longer anodized after you finished the lower?

Thanks

Never heard of this…you have my attention, D.

Edit to say, Got it…

NN

I heard a couple old Fallas in Walmart one time talking about it.I guess this must have been what they were talking about.Get it raw and cerakote it yourself. Around $50. If you get it anodized. Cerakote or leave it raw. If you leave it raw buff real nice with a Dremel. It’s aesthetics not functionality… Or etching primer and spray paint.

I am fragile. Not like a flower. But like a bomb.

Dfreedom, a lot of varieties of kits out there for a “ghost” guns lowers come in many varieties with several options for tooling. I have not done one, but I have been involved in several builds. I’m pulling the Triger on a 458 socom build to match my sons. I guess the biggest issue would be if you would decide to sell your build, I could see some complications if not handled discreetly. the couple I have are anodized. Just pick and choose what you want to complete your build. Many options available.

Can’t beat the fact you put your own together with what you want and the money that can be saved in your build.

My understanding is that you cannot legally sell a ghost gun as it was built by you for you, unless you have a federal Firearms License as it is an un-serialized firearm once it is completed. I’ve found some nice 80% lowers at Anderson Manufacturing so I may jump in and give one a shot.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

There’s really only two reasons to build a 80% lower. We all know reason number one. Second reason satisfaction of doing it yourself. Bits & jig actually make a 80% more expensive.
Resale really would not be a consideration.

I don’t like the term “ghost” gun. Finalizing the last part of a firearm is fun and rewarding. You are absolutely not going to save any money. Especially if you get into doing your own Cerakote work to make it extra special. There are several kits on the market. AR-10 (.308), AR-15 (.556), Several options for finalizing a 1911 Variant, Polymer 80 has been making Glock 80 percent components for years, You can even get the fire control group for a Sig P320 (this is the Army’s new sidearm). It’s all 100 percent legit and perfectly legal. Why you would ever want to sell one that you built and that no one else knows about is beyond me.

This will ship to your door via US Mail and with a Dremel and cordless you can have a full functioning handgun in a couple hours for $420 https://thundertactical.com/product/t19-complete-build-kit/

AR lowers take significantly more time, equipment, and accuracy during the milling process. There are several different jigs out there and several different methods to finalize it. Anodized is fine, you can still mill, just watch out because the shavings can get stuck on the anodizing and can be a pain to get off. If you get it in the raw, you have to get it coated - hence the aforementioned in-home Cerakote operation.

Do your homework. Plenty of info on youtube. Any good jig supplier should have the milling instructions.

Building a pistol is a little bit more advanced than a AR. And the Sig trigger group is the FFL required part.