Charleston Nearshore

Went out to the reef Monday late morning with my sons, 7 & 9 years old. I’m new to the nearshore game and trying to figure out how to put them onto unlimited BSB with occasional sheepshead, black drum, etc. Seas were rougher than expected, didn’t have enough line for anchor, so lots of bobbing and we all got a little queasy. On the plus side, my first time using the reef anchor with reverse shackle and zip-ties worked perfectly. We caught 2 small BSBs on mudminnows and turned home early. No action on fresh fiddler crabs. Any help with specific places on that reef or Capers, or other tips, would be much appreciated. Cheers

Another pm sent :+1:

"If you can't fix a woman, chase some tail with fins and fur!!!"

2008 Sea Pro 1900cc w/115

(2) Daughters that make the boys cry

(1) wife that makes her husband take the kids outdoors to chase their dreams!

Your experience is like mine. I’m doing things wrong…probably location. But I’d love to hear how to get decent bite for kids as I know people routinely get it done. Just not me…yet.

Moral K and 2 much tuna, check your emails…
Guidance has been sent. I hope you get what I sent for a starter hint

"If you can't fix a woman, chase some tail with fins and fur!!!"

2008 Sea Pro 1900cc w/115

(2) Daughters that make the boys cry

(1) wife that makes her husband take the kids outdoors to chase their dreams!

I usually have the opposite issue at the nearshore, beer can sized Blackfish as fast as the bait hits the bottom. that would probably be good for the kids on light tackle. What I found that really helped me was punching in all of the numbers for the reefs, not just the marker buoy. then try different areas/structure. The fish aren’t usually all over all of the reef. Also this helps find the quality fish and the ability to get away from the small BSBs when you want to. SCDNR page has the numbers of the different structure and tells you what each is on each reef including R-8. Hope this helps.

Sea Hunt 212 Triton "Head East"

Thanks for the tip!

I went out early that day and was able to anchor by the marker. Hadn’t realized it was damaged and difficult to spot so thank goodness for GPS. We caught and released a couple dozen undersized sea bass. They hit on everything we dropped including mud minnows, cut mullet and squid. Lots of action, smelly hands but no keepers. Even so, it’s always fun to catch some fish.

Neil Whitman Fun - Sea Hunt 211 Ultra Work - Dunhill Staffing Systems "Connecting Talented People with Great Companies"

we were thinking about going out to 4KI sometime this weekend. we’ve only ever fished for sheeps inshore. do you guys set up your rigs differently for nearshore?