Fishing for supper and sanity

Wow, what a difference a few weeks make for us all. Life is entirely different and may actually get a little tougher before it gets better. We hope and pray that’s not the case but we’re a resilient bunch we Americans and we’ll get through it.

I for one am grounded meaning working from home and no travel which I have done for the past 30 years in the technology business. I’ve lived in planes, trains, and automobiles for decades along with countless hotel nights and dinners with customer and alone that I could never count. Now I’m home and what a difference it is. I actually like it as I get to be with my wife and my dog so much more which is priceless to me.

That comes with a bit of an adjustment as I also find myself a bit bored during the day and am not the best at “turning it off” so I’m in the garage fooling with my boat, tackle, and studying maps ad-nauseum to stay busy. I’ll be taking the boat out a lot more I hope barring some total lockdown such as Italy is experiencing to help me pass the time and not focus on all of the bad news that the media continues to shove in our faces.

As I do get out more I’ll likely shift my fishing pursuits from sport fishing (I am 100% catch and release) to meat fishing just a bit out of necessity. The stores are picked over and people are entirely taking more than they likely need leaving others in a pinch. My thought is if I can catch my dinner and save that other pack of hamburger or chicken for another then I should as I have the skill as do you all to go find my meal and do it legally which I intend to do.

I don’t own a cast net as I throw all artificial only so I may adjust that and get a 6 footer to get some mud minnows or menhaden as need be to float under a cork or swim weightless on a line with a circle hook in them. The rationale of people at large seems to be waning so my thought is the less I interact with the masses the better off I’ll be and if I eat some more fish than I typically do it&#39

VERY WELL SAID , WE ALL NEED TO PRACTICE WHAT YOU JUST PUT IN VERY MEANINGFUL WORDS… THANKS FOR POSTING IT:+1::+1::+1:

George McDonald US Navy Seabees,Retired, MAD, Charleston Chapter [http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

I think you have a great pursuit on the catch what you can eat nothing better than heading off shore and come back with food you can share

Well said Chuck. Too bad everybody don’t have your take on this. I very seldom ever keep anything except a few trout in the winter. I was thinking exactly what you said about keeping fish. Dropping the crab pots.I’m not big on oysters or clams might harvest a few of them also They’ve been catching some nice knotheads at the near-shore.Little River. but it looks like it’s going to be a little too bumpy for the next week for a bay boat. Water warming up quickly they’ll be pushing off shore.

I am fragile. Not like a flower. But like a bomb.