Trout, Reds, Sheepshead...SLAM

[file ]error[/file]

The past few days things are picking up at my camp. We had several good days on trout, reds, and sheepshead. I’ve gotten so into trout fishing that I didn’t even bother to take a picture of the reds. I consider them more of a nuisance and hardly ever keep any…unless I have friends with me who want some to eat. The first day I waded in chest waders and I hated it. After that, it was wet wading only. I didn’t catch a limit on any one day, but caught enough quality fish to make for a fun day. All trout and reds were caught on 1/4 oz. jigs with an assortment of plastic tails. Sheepshead were caught on same jig, but with a pinch of dead shrimp (about half the size of the last joint on your little finger) on the hook. The action was insane. There were three of us fishing and we had 60 in about an hour and fifteen minutes. Often it was three at a time. What took the longest was getting them off the hook and into the box. They were DELICIOUS!!!
img]/forums/Content/Members/252/S Pass Trout.jpg[/img]

I don’t know why it won’t upload the photo of sheepshead. I wanted to show that it’s not ALL about trout. Suffice it to say, we had a box FULL.

Harold Wilcox
www.haroldshogwash.com

Harold Wilcox www.haroldshogwash.com

NICE…

George McDonald US Navy Seabees,Retired, MAD, Charleston Chapter [http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

That’s one of the most beautiful string of trouts I’ve ever seen. Man, you live good.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

Thank you. I hope to have more days like that as soon as this COVID-19 is under control. The trout are willing. I just need to get to 'em.

Pretty stringers for certain. Tell us a little bit about how you like to prepare them if you will. Nicely done!

Chuck D 2018 Pathfinder 2300 HPS Yamaha 250 SHO

Harold, do you Guide and if so, how to get in touch.

Jack K

Jack, I do not guide. Many years ago, i did some bass guiding on Santee-Cooper Lakes. Now, I just fun fish. I know a bunch of the guides and I’ll be glad to recommend a few. Are you primarily after trout or redfish or something offshore like tuna?

Chuck, I like 'em fried. As a buddy of mine told me years ago, there’s two ways you can fix fish…You can fry 'em, or F 'em up. With the bigger trout, I’ll often bake up with a little butter, lemon juice, and salt & pepper. If I’m frying the bigger fillets, I’ll fillet the fillet to make them thinner. That way they fry up crisper, and I like crispy. When we fillet redfish, we leave the skin on and call it redfish on the half shell. I grill them skin side down, of course. Again, butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Occasionally, with the redfish, I’ll get some lump crab meat and heat it in the microwave with a little butter and put it on top of the redfish. That’s pretty yummy, too. I do the same with red snapper.

that is nothing but fantastic!

" I’ll fillet the fillet to make them thinner. That way they fry up crisper, and I like crispy."

Hey Pea Pad…that would be a pro tip.

I’d say if the hogwash goes south, you could be a you tube star…just cleaning a fush. Thanks for sharing the good life.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

Definitely the good life as mdaddy said, love that glassy water in the last pic… but those are some funny looking sheeps and spottails in the other pics:smiley::smiley:

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!

Where are you located? When is the best time to fish for the trout? I want to go when this virus is passed on.

Thanks
Johnny

Johnny,
I am originally from Summerton, SC. Went to The Citadel. Moved to NC, then TN, but still have a home in SC. I, also, have a fish camp in Venice, Louisiana. I’ve fished from Key West to Thousand Islands on the St. Lawrence River which borders NY and Canada. I’ve, also, fished Alaska a number of times. I’ve enjoyed it all, but Venice, LA, is my favorite. That’s where I caught the fish in the this post. I caught some from my boat, but I prefer wading for them…especially when the water gets a little warmer. I don’t guide any more, but there are LOTS of good guides there and most are out of work right now because of this virus. If someone really wanted to go fishing, you can book a guide on a moments notice. Normally, they book up months in advance. Starting about now, I spend as much time in Venice as I can throughout the summer and fall. Fishing is unbelievable. My trips are weather dependent. I keep a bag packed and when I see a window of opportunity, I go. When the wind is blowing 20+, I don’t go. Don’t get me wrong…there are plenty of places to fish when the wind is blowing, but to wade like I want to do, I have to cross ten miles of open water to get to the outer islands. When waves are over 2.5’ that’s too uncomfortable for me to be crossing 10-20 miles of open water in my bay boat.

This was Day 2 on the Sheepshead.

Day 1 of Sheepshead. All were caught on a 1/4 oz. jig tipped with a pinch of shrimp. The only issue was how many did we want to clean…or pay to have cleaned.