Tailrace Shad or Lack of

Took the family out to the Tailrace in hopes of some sabiki herring and shad. Ended up being a boat ride, lol.

Water is very dirty and water was not being pulled other than low tide and the wind kicking in around lunch.

I found one very large school of bait to the right of the locks and around the corner of the dam. Birds were only in this area and it’s no fishing.

On a positive note, if you want to perch jerk, found a biomass of mixed sizes under and around the trestle, dam side. You can graph them then feed them tiny pieces of worms until the current starts rolling.

My childhood memories of shad/herring fishing there seem to be just that memories. I know they are still there some, but daggum this was pathetic again.

Should have went to arrowhead pardner.Santee Cooper has ruined the tail race by not letting any water thru.There was a little bit of shad caught there very early.

I know they are at Arrowhead, thanks, but hoping for a little something closer and easier for me.

Wife, 3, 8, and 11yr old makes everything from launching to fishing “tricky”. They had a great boat day and sore from smiling and laughing.

Just wanted to share the intel, good or bad.

Nice to get out for sure!

Philippians 4:13

Pioneer 197SF

It’s 15-20min further up the road

21 Contender

Thanks. I’m familiar with it as I’ve fished it before numerous trips over the last few years.

Again, decision was based on family boat trip. Kids, at least mine, get bored with everything in about an hour. Turtle watching, bald eagle spotting, rice field exploration, and Disney music jamming while eating snacks all day was the main goal of this trip.

Philippians 4:13

Pioneer 197SF

Wow your kids make it an hour before they get bored. Shoot you got it made. I think mine had an attention span of about 10 minutes. Hey but it’s all about spending time with the kids.

I am fragile. Not like a flower. But like a bomb.