Questions about The Grillage

Looking for some tips on what kind of tackle and bait or lure to use for fishing the at the grillage from a boat? Went out there Monday for the first time before the ramps shut down but got skunked so looking for tips :confused:

AN EXTRA ANCHOR OR 2…

George McDonald US Navy Seabees,Retired, MAD, Charleston Chapter [http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

Thanks sir!

Grillage fishing can be great especially when the water warms to the 70’s. I usually use 2oz weight tied on 8lb test line to a 3 way swivel. 40 lb Flurocarbon leader. The weight being tied on separate saves you a ton of tackle. You will constantly get hung up in the rocks and with this set up the worse is that you can just pop off your weight Saving everything else. You wanna be on the ledge of the channel. I use the 30’ to 15’ ledge and the deeper 40’ to 20’ ledge. You will see all the rocks on the depth finder. Big reds and sharks in the summer. Feel free to message me for any pointers.

Pathfinder 2200 tournament

Are big reds and sharks the only reason to fish the grillage? Or is there any reason to fish there looking for meat to eat?

we’ve caught lots of Black Sea bass on the ledges there and also have lost a great amount of tackle. Also have seen several people cause the death of large breeder redfish. That’s the bad side of fishing there. Bringing up the large redfish from the deep water and not knowing how to properly vent the fish. It’s really not worth fishing there because of the chance that you may catch a large redfish and release it incorrectly.