Ledge April 11th

Went out near SW banks this past Saturday, had to have a late start due my fishing buddy not getting off work until 6am. Decided to go out there and drift fish the bottom with some top waters out. Had great success on the bottom and the top. Nice weed patches all around and lots of bait fish everywhere. We got a few tuna on both live bait that we caught on sabiki and dead ballyhoo, using a fluoro flat line. Tried to use some kites but not enough wind and i don’t use helium balloons. We caught a few different kinds of snapper and porgy on the bottom, as much as you could want. Really calm day. Did some evening trolling with no success but saw tuna all over. Will be back out either this weekend or Monday/Tuesday depending on the forecasts. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

266 SF World Cat

Thanks for the report. What kind of Tuna?

Black fin tuna, there were some huge ones out there. We caught one that was 42lbs, she was a beauty, the rest were much smaller. Hopefully I can find some of these mythical YFT next time I’m out.

266 SF World Cat

Hi, thx for the report.
Im new to off shore and with my boat I have to pick the right days, but can you tell me what kind of rigs you use when you were drift fishing? Im hoping to get out, was going to troll for Wahoo, but also want to try and learn and have options.

thx a lot

I'm not a Dr, those are my initials and I cant edit my user name. Please do not contact me regarding medical issues :) Pathfinder 25 Hybrid

I keep it pretty simple an am by no means an expert. For the top water drifting I just use 60 lb fluorocarbon leader with a swivel on one and a circle hook on the other end. If I’m using live bait I’ll bridle the hook, if its dead bait ill either single hook it or double hook through head and stomach. If Im on a long drift path and I can use a kite I use it, but it’s definitely not essential. Seems like no one uses them here like they do in SoFlo.

For the bottom rigs I just basically use really long carolina rigs using fluorocarbon with an 8oz weight. Usually keep the weight 6-7 ft away from the hook. 2 feet from the swivel. I like the rigs pretty long. If I have inexperienced fisherman on board or someone who really just wants to catch something, ill use a couple of lighter weight chicken rigs.

I hope this answered your question. If not let me know.

266 SF World Cat

Thanks a lot, appreciate it!

Cheers

I'm not a Dr, those are my initials and I cant edit my user name. Please do not contact me regarding medical issues :) Pathfinder 25 Hybrid

I don’t think I ever seen a 40# Blackfin. Whip out that instamatic camera and take a picture will ya?

You drag any cedar plugs while you were trolling?

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

I wish I had a good photo of him, after seeing these posts claiming they caught YFT near where I was drifting I started wondering if he was one. But he didn’t have the long fins that I’m used to seeing on them. Anyways, I don’t use cedar plugs anymore, never caught anything worthwhile on them even though I’ve seen people swear by them. I just pull a dredge, daisy chain, then a mix of skirted and naked ballyhoo. Usually does well.

266 SF World Cat

They got cameras on phones now.

A 40# Blackfin is a whopper…full grown…

Cedar plugs catch more fish and different types of fish over all lures in my 35+ years of offshore fishing.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

What size do you use? Maybe ill add it back into my spread, do you rub it in menhaden oil or anything?

266 SF World Cat

Great catch on 42 pound Blackfin Tuna. Early in the season I have caught some Blackfin Tuna that were huge, 35 pounds. The bad news for you, is that you may have fileted and ate the State Record Blackfin Tuna!

Here is the current record: Blackfin Tuna - 40 pounds, 6.4 ounces; Atlantic Ocean/Charleston; Mark Hartley, 2005

Fishin' Physician Contender 35ST with Triple Yamaha F300 4 Strokes

Kinda like I was thinking. BAAAAWAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

My bud Ron P caught a pompano, in the surf at Hunting Island State Park, as big as the frying pan…easy state record.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

"What size do you use? Maybe ill add it back into my spread, do you rub it in menhaden oil or anything?

266 SF World Cat "

Lures catch more fisherman than fish
As far as fish oil on cedar plugs:

1. They don’t travel well on an airplane smelling like fish oil
  2. Fish come to movement/sight…smell would be last at 4-7 knots

KISS principle.

Too bad you don’t want to talk about catamarans. I’m gonna fish the stool out of mine this year.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

C’mon Kendall, you’ve never caught a 35 lb blackfin:smiley: