I've seen two post where's the third...

So far in this young spring fishing season I have heard of more dock/fisherman confrontations. It always amuses me when people buy property on a public waterway and get mad when someone in a boat fishes around their dock.

So far there is a new owner of the last dock in Hamlin Creek. I hear they are a real pleasure living on there high dollar boat. They have even learned to get a cheap Zebco and throw it out to cut you off as you try to fish the bend. They enjoy good books in their lawn chair. I wouldn’t be mad and would probably chuckle to read someone on their final cast decided to cross their line and make way to spool there $25 reel. That’d be kinda funny.

Second I have seen now is in Molassas Creek which is just up river from Remley’s and I have actually looked at this spot on topo a few times. Apparently this owner has a sign that states don’t be creepy and anchor and fish. There are plenty of fish in the creek don’t invade their privacy. This always has bad effects for the idiot that makes these signs. There are always fish in these spots and then the sport get posted on Boat life Charleston or in the case of Hamlin the charter captain that got the first good experience with them post pictures location and best time to fish. When are we going to learn some times it’s just not worth being a jerk.

Those folks are really going to enjoy the 25% more traffic now that more folks who struggle to catch fish know their docks produce quality fish.

Sad when folks get a little bit of money and they think they are above everyone else.

Good luck out there stay safe and please be polite to your fellow fisherman and boaters. Remember if folks are anchored or have their trolling motor down try to stay across the channel from them. There is nothing I enjoy more than someone with 35 yards of creek and they decide to motor at 1200 rpm and get within 8-10 yards to see if I am catching.

Tight lines all!

Good post. 3rd or 4th dock on icw just passed Calabash crossroads has crazy people. They would come running out with broom handles and bang the dock and screaming at you. Long dock about a hundred yards .
I caught a nice little red fish one time while they were out there doing that. They flipped. I put the fish in the live well told him he was going to eat good that night. Went down the creek and let him go. I stopped by there the next time I want out they had bricks stacked up on the dock and we’re throwing them in the water. Laugh so hard I had tears in my eyes.
Have not fished them docks in a while. Go tomorrow and get a new NC fishing license. They need their exercise. I’ll shoot a video and put it on YouTube.

I am fragile. Not like a flower. But like a bomb.

I should be so lucky to have a dock on a creek. I know there are times it must get annoying to walk down to your dock and have someone anchored right off it or worse, tied to your dock but, there are prices you pay for such living. Heck, just set up some speakers and play loud rap music or something to drive off the fishermen. No need to be a jerk.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

Ive fished a dock for about the last ten years and I was told to fish it by a game warden. I rarely fish it and the last time I did a guy came to run me off and I told him about how people burn spots because of stuff like that. He had a 35ish server and said people chip his gel coat casting. He put fencing around the poles of his dock to stop people from casting under it. I told him that’s better for me because I just sheephead fish it. He told me a spot down the river and said he catches a lot of ten lbers there and to go fish there. Lol

I think anyone that fishes our coast knows several “hot” docks. Don’t fish like I used to, but I always had a personal mindset to never fish near a dock if someone was on it. I’ve been on the Dock and had boaters come up while having a family time, and I never understood how catching a fish was worth ruining someone elses quality time. Lot’s of water and alternate back up spots. I sometimes wonder about other’s fishing abilities and only knowing a couple of “honey Holes”.

And I too have been fishing a dock all to myself only to have an owner come down and harass. That is just poor form. On the Bricks being thrown, I’d get with DNR. It’s illegal to harass a hunter, I’m sure the same would be true of a fisherman?

One thing I’ve noticed about owners with docks, many don’t seem to care to fish. If I were on the water the wife and I would probably never get off the dock and everyone would be welcome to it. I’d even share my crab trap catch.

Hookem, I agree that these jerk owners will regret some of there actions if our fishermen are still the same as many I grew up with. Let an owner do some dumb stuff and it’s usually a vendetta thing for as many locals to plaster their dock as possible, and then you have the other fishermen not catching and looking for any “leg” up to catch a fish. Those docks will see more traffic.

Is this kind of what you meant about being respectful ??

EXACTLY! Hey Goose time to buzz the tower. C’mon man! No one needs to do that. People just need some common sense. NO I DON’T WANT TO TALK TO YOU AND TELL YOU IF THEY ARE BITING. You can ask from a distance.

Fred I am with you. If people are out enjoying their docks I steer clear and have plenty of places I enjoy wetting a line. But those that run out of there house and come confront fisherman is a little ridiculous is my point. Most of the time I am the guy that A) always gets my lures off any structure I can so that no one or animal will get hurt. I usually see lines and other stuff underneath and at times do a little spring cutting and cleaning of all the braid I can too. Keep our waters nice right!

Any other good stories out there? I look forward to the youtube video. Reminds me of a place I use to hunt urban archery and the neighbor was a deer lover. They would see my truck and run out on their deck and beat pots and pans together every 15 mins. At some point do we learn to just relax and live our own lives?

Tight lines all!

how about other fisherman? I was fishing a dock Friday in Beresford about 10ft from the outside post fishing under the dock and walkway. Another boat (16ft scout, old guy and his old hag) pull around on the inside of the floater 30ft from me and cast literally 5 ft from where my bait was. I’m with my wife and kids having fun catching a few. I said and I quote, “that’s not cool at all.” What am I going to say or do with kids in the boat ?? Anyway I let boat drift back to the piling then crank it up and speed off. We go by the dock 10 min later and the classless jerk gives us the double finger, I didn’t see it but my kids and another buddy in his boat did. I got pics of his boat and a long memory…

BKW

[quote]

Anyone that has fished regular will have stories of jerks! Was out by Morgan Island anchored and casting to the shore (maybe 15 yards/not a big creek) and a charter captain pulls up drift/troll fishes between me and shore! I ask what the F! He said he is out here making a living and on a short time window for the tide. I told his client mark his spots but don’t fish like he does. Very unethical. Then you have the crowd that follows the Charters, I’m sure any captain on here could tell you a good few stories of people crowding in on them. When I was fishing most every week, I had the opportunity to fish during the week days, way less people on the water. Lot’s of stories to be told fishing the P.I. reef! I’ve had people see me pulling in fish and come with in a few yards drop anchor get no set, pull up drop anchor… dang near ruins a good day. Always fantastic when you can still catch fish and the other boat doesn’t. I have been ready to wrap up and see a family trying their best out there that has given me space and call them over and give what bait I have left too. Nothing better than seeing a kid or novice fisherman catch stuff.

Sometimes the worst problem with another boat crowding you is you cant Pee!

This kind of thing happens everywhere too. Many years ago, I had a guy in a bass boat almost swamp my Gheenoe. I had my one son with me, who was about 10 at the time. We were anchored at the edge of a pad field on one side of the creek, fishing for Crappies. We had paddled down river to that point from the launch ramp, about a mile, and the guy in the bass boat came in after we did. He blew past us on his way down river, but we were back in a cut away from the channel so no problem there. Not until he came back up river later in the day. Apparently, he was with a small bass club who had a tournament there that day. That creek saw a lot of them. I learned this from another fellow, and older guy, who was also with that club, but who had enough sense to slow to an idle to pass by us. He even stopped and talked a few minutes as he made his way back for their weigh in. This was a small, narrow creek, and very shallow, 5 ’ at deeper spots, 3’ or less most places depending on the tide. A lot of spadderdock pads, and downed tree’s along the edges. Much of the edges was flooded woods. That jerk didn’t have to blow past us on plane. He was in a hurry to get back to the weigh in. If I could have paddled back fast enough, I would have protested his actions with the club, and likely one of us would have ended up in the creek.

When I lived in MD, I fished the Chesapeake Bay, and never even went out during the “Trophy” Striper season, unless I went somewhere that I could fish one of the small creeks, and that was usually for Perch. The bay was like a demolition derby at that time. Some boats anchored, some trolling, and with as many as 24 lines out. Some trolling planer boards and no one going in the same direction. Charter Captains & recs all trying to catch something in a relatively small area, with no regard for anyone else out there. There’s been stories of guys tossing sinkers at other peoples boats because they got close. There’s been stories of some watching others with binoculars and as soon

In all honesty that pic doesn’t even look bad to me. I get a lot worse then that every time. He stayed in the channel and on plane. I got a couple spots where people fish close together. Inshore fishing the same structure its more reasonable then offshore. I’ve fished with 7 other boats at the barge before. I was first there. I was heading to a spot once and a charter started heading to it and raced me there( less then a mile) and he beat me there and I set up and fished next to him. He had live bait and the popping cork special and new where the spot was but not where to fish with in the spot. My buddy and I slayed them and his charter caught a baby flounder, one of the clients even said something about him racing me to the spot. Another time I’m catching fish at the hot spot on a rock wall and a guide works everywhere around me and doesn’t catch a thing and ask to pull up next to me and fish. I said yeah and gave a few live mullet and a little Spanish kid caught a huge red. He was so excited he was telling in two languages.

Back in the 80s less than 30 days out of the service. I had an early 60’s model aluminum vhull with old cast-iron 50. Given to me for hauling it off. Got it running fishing I went. Leeks and all.
I was catching fish like a madman & a pontoon boat come rolling up on me. And started circling me and telling me I was a piece of s*** murder. I was pulling my anchor and was just going to leave. There was eight people on the pontoon boat. One of them decided to shake up a soda. and sprayed me. Oops. When I got the anchor pulled and that poor old motor started. I commence to ramming them.I probably rammed them15 times and push them up on a oyster Bank.I rammed them in the motor several times till it pushed the motor up against one of the pontoons. I’m pretty sure I totaled their boat.
Pretty much killed my poor old boat knocked all the rivets loose. But it was well worth it. Never heard anything about it. I’m sure they called the police.

They drew first blood.haha Before cellphones you could take care of business.

Iv’e had guys anchor up tide from me fishing a dock and let out rope till they get between me and my hole. One time I was in my bigger boat and i cranked up and trimed up the 250 and filled them up with water. Never heard so much cussing They never did that again. Don’t get me started about jet skys!

Is this dock north/east of the crossroads, into NC? I will make it a point to fish it.
What’s your Youtube handle??

Boat poor that’s hilarious. I seen that happen at the boat landing one time.

I don’t have a YouTube channel but I would start to put stupid stuff like that on it if I would remember the film stuff like that.
Make sure you have a North Carolina license I was checked 3 times last year.

Yeah, I live so close to NC, I pretty much have to have both NC and SC licenses.

Launched at Remleys Tuesday. Full parking lot at 7am. Parked on top of the hill along with about 10 other trucks / trailers. Finished up at 2pm. One of Charleston’s finest boxed all of us into that area. Parked his truck right on the ramp going up the hill. Had to wait about an hour for an opportunity to get my truck and trailer out.

I hope he had a fantastic day on the water.