Older Yamaha 4 strokes

What’s your opinion on older Yamaha 4 strokes? Been hearing that they give up after about 10 years. Any truth to that. Looking at a 100 hp 4srtoke.

not sure what experience the person has that said a yamaha 4 stroke wears out after 10 years, but as a Yamaha dealer, that has not been my experience AT ALL.
10 years and 3000 hours, sure, but 10 years and 400 hours, I would by that motor all day.
That being said, there are a few motors I would stay away from, and the carbureted 100 is one of them. the older carbed 40 4stroke, and the big block HPDI

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com IF I RESPOND IN ALL CAPS, ITS NOT ON PURPOSE, AND I AM NOT YELLING
www.teamcharlestonmarine.com IF I RESPOND IN ALL CAPS, ITS NOT ON PURPOSE, AND I AM NOT YELLING

Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I phrased my question wrong, sorry. I have heard nothing but good referrals about Yamaha. This comment was that 4 strokes in salt water have a situation where internally the salt water corrodes something and salt water gets in the oil.

Anyway, I was looking at a boat with a Yamaha carbureted, 100hp 4 stroke, 20 years old, and I just was leery, so I did not purchase. You answered my question, and confirmed my doubt about it. Very much appreciated.

Don R