Rod and Line Suggestions

I have two Stradic 2500’s that I’m looking to pair with some rod’s.

Which Rods and line do you recommend for trout fishing. I’m thinking of putting 10-12lb power pro on the reels, just not sure which rod I should select. These will be used for soft plastic fishing only, no live/cut bait.

I’m no expert, but in my experience this is what works best for me:

Power: Medium to Medium Lite

Action: Fast or Extra Fast (Firm tip helps you feel the bite)

Length: 6’6" to 7’0" (longer rods tend to cast farther, shorter are preferred for better casting accuracy)

Line: I use 8 lb to 12lb braid, depends on the reel. Never had a fish break 8 lb, usually the knot or leader fail first. What is just as important is a good drag system, which you have on the stradics.

Some of my favorites:

• St Croix 7’ Avid Inshore Medium Lite power with a fast action
  • St Croix 6’6" Premier Medium Lite/Fast
  • G. Loomis NRX medium-fast 6’10" (this thing is expensive, but it was a bday gift to myself and is worth every penny)

The above information is good. I will say that on a 2500 series reel, I typically run 12lb braid. For throwing artificials, I would recommend a 7’+ rod that is a med light power. Also make sure it has a fast action. You will want the extra length for the distance casting of ariticials. Rod quality just depends on your budget. Shimano Teramar Inshore are decent rods that are not terribly expensive. St Croix also has a couple great quality rods in the same price point. Hope this helps and tight lines!

Capt. Jeremiah McCarthy Southern Slam Fishing Charters www.southernslamfishing.com 2018 Sea Hunt BX22BR