Minn Kota Issues

Minn Kota 36v w/ Spot Lock keeps loosing its mind. It will not stay on target. If the foot pedal is plugged in, it cycles thru what ever- kinda like a self test but no results.

It is now at the local Minn Kota repair center (North Charleston) for the third time. He says he has replaced stuff but results never last more that a month, if that.

He now says it’s the processor board. MMMMMM.

Every time it is in shop, it takes at least two weeks as he only orders parts every two weeks.

It is 15 months old. In shop 3 times in first year.

It is my son’s boat, but I think Minn Kota owes him a new motor.

However, there was another customer in shop this AM when he took it in with the same issue for the X time. He called Minn Kota, put on hold for a long time and then told to take to repair shop.

These </font id=“Arial Black”>are VERY expensive motors to stay in the shop.</font id=“red”>

1.- Have you had similar issues?
2.- Solutions? Is there a way to force Minn Kota’s hand on this???
3- Alternative motors other than Motorguide?

Is it still under warranty?
If not, consider ordering the part yourself and fixing it yourself.
You might be surprised at how easy they are to work on once you open them up.

I’ve owned a 24V Terrova for 2 years now and had zero issues with it, btw.

________________________ 1966 13' Boston Whaler "Flatty" 2018 Sportsman Masters 207 www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

Shop has it…hopefully will do warranty.

1-2019
Riptide Teranova.

Shop says control board fried…2 weeks normal, now with CV19, who knows…and they will not Fed X.

DRMajor

If its any consolation, my truck had a transmission problem…been in the shop now for 5 weeks. Hope to get it back Friday.

________________________ 1966 13' Boston Whaler "Flatty" 2018 Sportsman Masters 207 www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

From Hull Truth…

https://www.microskiff.com/threads/w...harging.62538/

“Your Minn Kota trolling motor may be designed with an internal bonding wire to reduce sonar interference. Most alternator charging systems do not account for this bonding wire, and connect the negative posts of the trolling motor batteries to the negative posts of the crank/starting battery. These external connections can damage connected electronics and the electrical system of your trolling motor, voiding your warranty. Review your charger’s manual carefully or consult the manufacturer prior to use to ensure your charger is compatible.”

DRMajor

However,

After looking at these articles, it seems to be related to the motor’s charging circuit…?
If so, our trolling motor batteries (3) are not connected to the motor in anyway. They are on a Minn Kota charger alone. Seems this would negate this theory.???

DRMajor

Our trolling batteries are in console, feet away from crank battery.

DRMajor

I had the same problem with mine it would ru around in tight circles look for its #
Had to replace a board at $300 just after warentee