Brimslayin opinions wanted

I’ve been stuck around the house trying to force kids to do homework, looking at solunar table for May, and rigging my gear for next week.

Got a secret recipe from Chinaback for a slow sinking spider fly that involves chenille, a custom spice mix grown by Fred67, some white hairs from RBR’s dog, and some teeth from Sman’s trophy jackfish... But I need more ideas.

I plan to have a popping bug on a slightly stouter setup, 2 slip rigged ultralights for crickets, then my nicest UL with 5lb braid for spinners, and also a bream buster for flicking spiders. So here are my questions:

- what is a good all around lure for pickerel in and near heavy brush and cover (and no, I ain’t got a skitterpole dangit) and what is the minimum leader weight for teeth? Pretty sure folks have roundly agreed on anything obnoxious, from bright colored in line spinners to yer grand daddy’s Devil Horse

- what is your favorite redbreast/bream spinner for skinny river- and swamp-style titty bream? Size of beetlespin? gold? black body, yellow dot? tip with cricket or no?

- fishing around May full moon means fishing the spawn (for roosters, I’m not a monster), which means more sandy calmer spots instead of steep edges and cover... right? Read plenty about sniffing beds in the lakes but just wondering your favorite habitat types and times of day for blackwater panfishing. Guessing late evening in the back of a cove or oxbow could be great too. Mud or sand? Target feeding spots, or spots for the other 2 “F” words?

Thanks!
Replies

• <<
  • <
  • of 2 pages
I like a white curly tail grub on a 1/16 oz jig, both with and without the spinnerbade attached.

Best beetlespin body I’ve ever used was one I bought probably 30-35 years ago, can’t find them now. It was the regular solid body, but the color was purple, the very tip was red. Bought up all I could find back then.

• <<
  • <
  • of 2 pages