Z-Man Soft Plastics

Figured I get a discussion going and see what everyone’s go-to soft plastic is, what is your favorite color that you fish with most often.

Also, what type of jig head do you prefer.

For me, I like the MinnowZ & the Slim SwimZ and I usually rig them up weedless.

Eye Strike with (Old school) Manns Auger Tail. I have a few 100 packs of these grubs left for $30/100.

My favorite was green fire tail

I am fragile. Not like a flower. But like a bomb.

I’ve been throwing z man “ The Deal” mostly.
Took my wife out yesterday and rigged her up with “Purple death”. She caught three flounder and one fish that looked like a whiting but it drummed and cut me with it’s gill plates because I was just dumb enough to grab it not knowing For sure what it was.

Anyway, after watching her get bit, I switched over to purple death and hooked up with a nice flounder only to get wrapped on some structure. Gave him some slack to get off the structure and he was gone.

I never boated a fish.
It was horrible having to listen to my wife gloat about her fish all evening.

I fish weedless (3/16 or 1/4 bullet weight with a #2 or so gap hook depending on my soft plastic) when around structure but I’ll throw a normal lead head in the summer when I’m tossing oyster beds.

Would add a pic of my rig but haven’t figured out how to post a pic yet.

[file ]error[/file]

Okay, hope I got a pic uploaded.

I live right next to Lake Marion so fishing I’ve done recently has been there. I like the Trick Shotz, and Finesse Shadz, and the 3 1/2" grubs but use other brands of grubs most often. I bought a bunch of 4" grubs years ago when I could fish for SM bass more often, so don’t buy many of them. If I’m getting more interest than I want from Pickerel I’ll use the Zman grubs since they hold up a lot better.

I started using the elaztech type grubs years ago in the Chesapeake Bay as they held up best to Bluefish, when we were chasing Stripers. I still have some of the Terminator & Strike King versions too.

I pour the jigheads that I use, and have been using these most of the time.

Those are beautiful. Do they hold a Z Man on well. I’ve got some lead jig heads I use for crawpappy soft plastics but it’s hard to get a Z Man over the barn and once it punctures the soft plastic I either discard it or cut past the tear and re jig it.

Also, is it a good deal cheaper once you buy the molds, hooks and lead than simply buying the jig head.

I’m only asking because I often thought I’d enjoy doing it.

“barb”not “barn”

Thank you. I powder paint most jigs that I fish with, but this is the only photo I had handy of this style jig.

I’ve been pouring a long time, close to 48 years. If you use & lose a lot of jigs it can be worth doing, but pouring your own may not save much money compared to just buying what you need. I got into it because I was already tying flies and tying jigs that I bought or retying old jigs, and got the chance to get a mold cheap. I was about 17 , and saving money wasn’t even a thought. That first mold was for pouring round head jigs in assorted sizes, primarily sizes for panfish or bass. Now, I have over 340 molds, which I’ve added over many years. I can now pour jigs from 1/100 oz, up to 20 ounces. Plus, sinkers, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, jigging spoons and some other lead based lures.

I enjoy doing it, all of what I have acquired is paid for, so it’s been an investment for me. I can make many different lures or heads just as I want or need.

Those heads hold most plastic baits very well. I feel the Zman baits stay on most jigs pretty well. The hard part sometimes is getting them on the jig. I even made a mold for a special jig, with the idea to use them with some of the larger Zman baits. The mold only pours 3/8 & 1/2 oz size jigheads.

For me, making lures & tying flies have been a whole different world that’s added to my fishing enjoyment. I know a lot of others who make lures or tie flies, and not many say they’ve saved money doing it, but have also enjoyed it.

So, it’s one of those en

It sure how I missed this post. Where can I purchase your jig heads?

Kerry I sent you a private message.

Trout tricks- OG color\mood ring, po boy, opening night, bad shad or ralphs shad

slim swimz and minnowz- all above plus white

All on a 3/16 Trout Eye jig of course

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!

If I could only throw one bait for the rest of the season based on success this year. Trick Shotz in pumpkin green goby with a Ned lock 1/6 black or pumpkin green jig head.