5/2 Stream

“Fly away buzzard fly away crow way down south where the winds don’t blow
Rub your nose and give two winks and save us from this awful jinx.”

Same crew from last year and smiling even though no fish.
5th trip to the stream in the GW cat…with 80 extra gallons of fuel…280 gallons total. Ran at 5K rpms(25knots) all the way to the South Ledge in the daylight…
I went to the South Hump, now called the “Point” I believe. Last time I was there was 1993. It’s that little circle on the Rutgers Sea Surface temperature sight. I crossed the 100 fathom curve and there was little temp change from 73-75 and it was choppy but no defined rip. Picked up and ran to the South Hump which looked like a washing machine and 10-15 knot winds from the North…80*-82* temp. Trolled around the BLUE(very BLUE) water and one skinny cow skied with a bait and spit it. That was around 10 am. Trolled back to the North angling to the temp change area…NOTHING.

Arrived at the 100 fathom curve and there was a boiling rip with whirlpools. 73* on west side and 74ish* on east side. Saw a couple of peanuts under a few clumps of weed but no takers. Trolled it till it ran out both sides…no takers.
Trolled back out to 800-900 feet and dumb lucked into a cow that gave my crew a workout. If I had a video of that fiasco…we could all have a good laugh. That fish took down the short port rod(ballyhoo) and then grabbed the cedar plug on the outrigger. She then swung back around under the motors and my son wrapped the leader and she started jumping next to the boat. My son picked up the long gaff instead of the short handled gaff and proceeded to wail on this fish. I’m talking about flailing on that poor fish. I actually felt sorry for her getting mugged like that. One hand on the leader wrap and couldn’t get leverage with the long handle. I’m laughing so hard as I type this…it was a sight. I believe he knocked her out with all the whacking at her. Finally

Farther from land than I’ve ever gone fishing, but it sure sounds like they were sharing an adult hug!

Never seen a manta in person, plenty of spotted eagle rays but there’s no mistaking something that size. Cool!!

[quote="Originally posted by barbawang

You and your dog party are welcome on my boat any time. Doesn’t mean we’ll catch fish but I can go deep.

My question is do Mantas broadcast reproduce or copulate? There was that brown plankton (iron ingesting cytoplankton) around (mainly in their area) and I supposed that attracted them to feeding…providing an opportunity to meet new Mantas and make new mantas.
[br"]
Farther from land than I’ve ever gone fishing, but it sure sounds like they were sharing an adult hug!

Never seen a manta in person, plenty of spotted eagle rays but there’s no mistaking something that size. Cool!!
[/quote]

The ENTER-NET Fisherman
The ENTER-NET Fisherman

Google is you’re friend. I would rather have barbawang insight though.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=manta+ray+reproduction&docid=607990175670143225&mid=95A5C5E122AB9BCCD11995A5C5E122AB9BCCD119&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

The Mantas we saw were vertical…on the surface…face to face and touching wings. I’m coming to Charleston to fish with you and BONZO…DF and Dave. We’ll have a grand time.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

Had one years ago almost jump in the back deck off the 330 hole! Got me wet on the fly bridge wish i had it on video! Man ya’ll making use of this $1.25 fuel going that far. Good luck and God Bless!