popping corks - do you guys like throwing them?

https://youtu.be/eQfWRM70Tgk

I gotta say, I’m not a big fan. They’re cumbersome, get easily tangled when running to a new spot and the fight is so different. It’s hard to know what size fish you have on.

Having said that, I gave in and got on a little bite on Friday May 1st with Adam (Awendaw Angler) from this forum.

I caught my first ever trout on a popping cork. I was throwing soft plastics as well. All the fish we caught came off the corks with live minnows.

It was windy and low to mid seventies. We were fishing low and incoming tide.

Above video is our trip.

Yep, good when windy, and can sometimes function as an attractant for trout… otherwise I prefer going lighter

Add to the list of cons: inability to change depth

I’ve tried them a few time but seems setting the depth can be a hassle. I assume you want to keep the bait just off the bottom but every time you fish a new area with a substantial change in depth you have to change the leader length. Unless you guys know an easier way around that?

Betts® Billy Bay Adjustable-Depth Float</font id=“black”>

Thanks guys.

We were catching them in 12 foot of water in the middle of the creek. We never caught a fish on an oyster rake. Our leaders were maybe 24 inches.

The trout haven’t moved up yet around price creek.

I’ll def have to try that adjustable cork

When I was a kid and fished with my Granddad, that was about all we ever fished with. That man could catch a fish in a parking lot. We fished all the time but he never told us why he did what he did and how he did things. I’d love to be able to pick his brain now. Unfortunately I did not inherit his fishing prowess.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?
"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

My grandpa would take us to Bull Schoals Ark around Easter once the White Bass started running. We’d catch a bunch of white bass then go after rainbow trout.
He put velvets cheese on a treble hook and l looked at him and said “ What are we fishin for? Mouses?”

“That man could catch a fish in a parking lot.”
Same kinda grandpa.
He’d just say, ‘Time to change’ and we would go from eels to flounder and always come home with fish to cook over the fire that I was taught how to build.

I missed some important lessons there as an 8 year old.
This from a one bedroom house hand built by him.
Thanks DF for sparking that memory.

"No... it's okay, I know the way out..."

I don’t like to fish them but they catch fish! My buddy has cleaned my clock a time or two forcing me to use them.

(He put velvets cheese on a treble hook and l looked at him and said “ What are we fishin for? Mouses?”)

That’s hilarious. but I bet y’all caught fish :tropical_fish:.

I throw a poping cork quite a bit in the fall for trout. With voodoo shrimp or live shrimp.
No shame in my game. Whatever it takes to bend the rod.

I am fragile. Not like a flower. But like a bomb.

Not unless I have to but like the man said, I’m not above it and if it’s the only way that day that works that’s what we’re doing. I just never lead with it if at all possible.

Chuck D Pathfinder 2300 HPS Yamaha 250 SHO

Got a couple of places that I fish exclusively with a popping cork. I prefer Live shrimp but have used DOA with success. Last bit of outgoing tide by a couple of feeder creeks for a trout hole and a couple of places about mid tide on the incoming for Spot tail. Have also had some good success letting them drift as close as possible to the grass on full high. I like the 2.5-Inch Lil’ Thunder Cigar in the lime Green Finish. When I travel I just tighten drag and keep them tight on rod. I use 30lb test on main line and 15-20lb on a 18" leader. I also like to run a tiny split shot about 6" from hook. Get some lively shrimp under them and they are extremely productive.

Glad y’all had a trip!!

Cork fishing is a great way to get kids fishing. Rigged right, there are less hang ups and it gives them a visual. Bobber stoppers are a must use

Yes.

Plus you already received a lot of good info:+1:

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!

Good tip thanks.

Yeah, that’s how I feel too. But like the guy said down this thread “Whatever bends the rod”