Fossil Hunting???

Hey fellas, I posted this same topic several years ago, but somehow the PM’s people sent me were deleted. Anyway, do any of ya’ll have recommendations on places where fossils can be found? Of course the beaches are possible, but I was looking for places more inland around Summerville although I’m definitely not opposed to places in Charleston. Too bad the cement company right off I-26 doesn’t allow it anymore.

Haven’t done it in many years, but I’d be interested in getting back into it. Send me a pm if you’re looking for company.

Any of the creeks in Summerville can hold fossils. Just keep in mind it’s now against the law to dig in the creek banks.

Lady I used to work with a few years ago told me the cement company occasionally dumped a couple of truckloads of gravel/dirt for people to look through, she said they dumped it close to City Hall in Holly Hill. Might be worth checking out

I knew some guys years ago that found lot of them while scuba diving in the Cooper river and the Edisto.

Edisto should be good for searching when the water drops. This extended high water should have uncovered something.

I can’t think of any areas open to the public, but if you see some new “crush and Run” being laid shells are most always in it with some added sharks teeth from time to time. I’m not sure if you can now, but you used to be able to walk some of the bank along the diversionary Canal after a hard rain and find some stuff.

In Summerville, off of College Park Road, there are several ditches for rainwater runoff behind the neighborhoods that run for a long ways. We used to find sharks teeth all over in there, but I would check the legality of it today as well as assuring you weren’t trespassing.

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017