Bulls Bay Help

I’d like to learn a little more about Bulls Bay and hoping you guys can help me with navigating it. I have read here and appreciate the info. I understand that it can be treacherous in areas. My boat doesn’t need a ton of depth but it’s big enough that I can’t shove it around if I get grounded. In looking at Navionics charts, it looks like it should be pretty safe coming through Anderson Creek, through part of Bull Harbor and into Bull Creek. Is that right? Can I rely on my charts and be okay if I stay out of really shallow stuff? I know doing that may keep me away from a lot of good fishing, but just wondering what I can do safely while I learn my way around.

I’ve read different things in terms of the best time to go in terms of tide if you are trying to figure it out. What are your thoughts on that?

Also, is the dock on the back side of Bull Island available to private boats, or only the ferries?

Thanks for your help!

I’ve spent a good amount of time fishing some of those creeks around bulls bay. I put in at Garris Landing and take the ICW south to price creek. I will then work my way over to bulls bay and fish both sides of the creek where the dock is.

I doubt the DNR dock is public but I honestly don’t know. There’s a sign saying that this slip is reserved for the Bull Island Ferry.

Pretty descent fishing around there.

It’s always a good idea to navigate new waters at low tide with the water coming in. That way you won’t be stuck more than a couple hours at worst.

Also, you can follow the ferry out to see how they get over there.

The public can dock on Bulls…take your bug spray.

Put in at garris landing and follow the ferry to the island. That’s your safe bet for learning to navigate. The ferry route is also mapped on Google Maps (pc version, not on the android app).

Been going there for years and I still brush an oyster bed occasionally. It’s pretty rough to navigate that area. Also, at low tide, a good portion of the bay is completely empty. Mud flat.

I love it out there, but the fishing isn’t great. I don’t go there to catch big numbers.

100% AGREE ; I DON’T GO THERE VERY OFTEN CAUSE OF THE DIFICULTY AND HAZARDS ; IFFN YOU WANT TO GIVE IT A TRY ,START ON BOTTOM TIDE AND FISH TILL HIGH , TAKE PICS AND NOTES OF SKINNNY AREAS AND MARK WITH GPS ;; YA SURE DON’T WANT TO LEARN THE SKINNY PLACES THE HARD WAY !!!

George McDonald US Navy Seabees,Retired, MAD, Charleston Chapter [http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

Thanks all for the info. That’s very helpful. If my Navionics chart shows say 5’ or 6’ of depth, is that reliable, or do things shift around? Thanks again.

Navionics maps show the depth at low tides but I wouldn’t trust them for skinny water.

LOTS OF SKINNY AREAS COME AND GO DEPENDING ON TIDES AND SEASONAL FLOODING ;; AS I STATED IN EARLIER POST ;GO TO UNFAMILIAR AREAS ON DEAD LOW , RECORD THE SKINNY AREAS SOMEWAY , ie PICS ,GPS , WRITTEN NOTES ECT ECT… ONCE YOU’VE SAT ON A PLUFF FLAT FOR 6-10 HOURS ( DONE IT ) YOU’LL UNDERSTAND WHUT I MEAN :frowning_face::frowning_face::frowning_face::frowning_face::frowning_face::frowning_face::frowning_face::frowning_face:

George McDonald US Navy Seabees,Retired, MAD, Charleston Chapter [http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown