Should I get Navionics or stay with native charts

I’ve got the Simrad Evo2 system and I’ve been running and been mostly satisfied with the native charts on the chart plotter. Last summer we ran up to the Locks and the charts ended around Pimlico. I’ve considered going to Lake Murray sometime this summer and I know my chartplotter does not include Lake Murray. I may only make 1 trip to Murray…I may not even go at all.

But there’s a lot of love for Navionics. I just don’t know if I want to get Navionics or stay with the native Simrad package and maybe increase the coverage on the native software to include lakes.

I guess I’m looking for someone to talk me into getting Navionics or tell me I don’t really need it. Is Navionics all that great?

______________________________________________________ "I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public." ~my dad

Equipment:
*2007 Grady White 222 Fisherman / 250 Yamaha
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
*2006 Boston Whaler 13’
1 - wife (The Warden)

Former ECFC

Bump…

______________________________________________________ "I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public." ~my dad

Equipment:
*2007 Grady White 222 Fisherman / 250 Yamaha
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
*2006 Boston Whaler 13’
1 - wife (The Warden)

Former ECFC

There was a captain that used to post on here all the time a while back, I can’t remember his name though, but he would share screenshots from his Navionics loaded unit and the detail was always impressive. There are lots of extra features like depth lines contours and things like that as well. If you’re going to be going into uncharted territory with your setup, then it may not be a bad addition to have. Isn’t it under 200$ for the chip? Might be worth it in the long run, and I think it covers a really large area too. Let us know what you come up with.

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!

I put navioics on my first HDS unit.it was tremendous. Just got a GO9. I will be adding it very soon… it doesn’t even show myboat in the water where I live.

I recently bought a Navionics chip after finding out that the first owner of our new boat only had lake maps installed on his Lowrance Ti2 unit. Way before I bought a chip, I spent a lot of time on the chart viewer on the Navionics website just doing my own research. I’d recommend spending some time on their chart viewer and seeing how you like it. FYI you don’t need a Navionics chip or account to do so.

"Only a fool thinks he knows it all."

What spooby42 said. Spend time on their website researching the product.

I have the Navionics Platinum Marine and the Navionics Hot Maps lakes. They are really good, however you will have to renew the subscription every year to continue some of the features.