Good Trout Trip

Went wading for trout this past week. Had to dodge a few storms, but the trout cooperated. Most were caught on a Vudu Vixen and Paul Brown’s Original suspending jerk bait.

Harold Wilcox www.haroldshogwash.com

When is the fish fry?

I am fragile. Not like a flower. But like a bomb.

Next fish fry will be for my Sunday School class. You’re welcome to come.

When I grow up I wanna be just like you!

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Nice creel!

As a fisherman learning these waters, I’d like to ask you or anyone with an answer, do fish keep okay in 75 degree water until you’re done fishing?

The reason I ask is because the last time I kept fish was when the water temps were just in the 70’s and they died in the live well. I iced them overnight ( maybe I should have cleaned them immediately) and cleaned them the next day but they were not as firm as they were during the colder months.
They ate just fine but they looked like they had been in the freezer for six months when I was trimming them.

What are the best ways to keep your catch fresh?

I never had these issues fishing for bass in Missouri as they rarely died in the live well. Should I keep a cooler with ice when I want to keep or am I okay to let them die in the live well? Or are they fine on a stringer?

Nice catch.

I ice fish immediately and never have any issues. I also clean and eat them the same day.

Next fish fry will be for my Sunday School class. You’re welcome to come.

Harold Wilcox www.haroldshogwash.com [/quote]

You’re a good man Harold. The folks in your Sunday school class are lucky to have you.
If you weren’t 12 hours away. I would take you up on your offer. Thank you!

Kerry,
As long as I’m wading, the fish stay alive on my stringer…except those that sharks come get. When I put them in my boat, I ice them immediately. I try to keep ice in bags until I need it. Bagged ice lasts longer than loose ice. I mix ice with water to make an icy slush. That keeps fish much colder than throwing fish on top of a pile of ice. When 3-4 of us go fishing, there’s no live well that can keep 75-100 trout alive. When I get back to my camp, I prefer to take the fish out of the boat, put them in coolers, ice them again, and then fillet them the next day. They are easier to fillet that way. I see no difference in the meat when they are kept well iced overnight.

Dang it man!! How many were there of you and what’s the limit on those things?

I'm Lost. I've Gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, PLEASE ask me to wait. ...

Nice catch!

How many people in your party?

There were three of us. The limit is 25 per person.

Thanks Herald.

I prefer to clean mine after they’ve been on ice overnight as well. They are easier to clean.

Good tip on the ice. Thanks.

Where did you go to wadefish?

This time, I was wading Breton Island off the Louisiana coast. It’s the far western island of the Chandeleur Island chain of islands along the Gulf Coast.

You keep too many fish, not good for conservation.

Maybe I should post more of my trips when I come back with an empty stringer.

Haha,That dumass is just jealous. I reckon he thinks he knows more than the biologist down in Louisiana.How did your place make out with the storm ?

Sman.Now don’t be mean.
Fish have feelings too…
I’m just mad it’s too far to drive for the fish fry.

Oh, that makes more sense. I thought you caught all those trout around Charleston somewhere, since the website is CharlestonFishing.com.

Thumbs up to you Harold on a nice stringer.

I’m sure those fish were enjoyed immensely by your Sunday school.

I’ve had many a day when I couldn’t post a picture of a single fish.

Most folks who enjoy the outdoors are wildlife conservatives.
My guess is, the guy who said you keep too many fish, most likely has a garage full of toilet paper.