Is it legal to...

plant buoy’s around your dock to prevent fishing around your dock? By “plant”, I mean tie a buoy to a cinder block or some type of anchor to have several floating buoy’s and ropes in the fishable area around your dock?

The safest thing to do is ask SCDNR that question directly. At some level, I would think the answer would have something to do about impeding the waterway travel.

Are you having trouble with your dock or are you wanting to fish someone else’s?

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Asking for a friend? :slight_smile:

________________________ 1966 13' Boston Whaler "Flatty" 2018 Sportsman Masters 207 www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

Not my dock. It did make for a challenge, though, only one fish lost due to the obstacle course. :+1:

The friend is me Opt:stuck_out_tongue:

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!

I know some people get ticked at others fishing their dock. I never understood it until i was out there with them one random time sitting on it when a couple of yahoos pulled up 30’ away and starting plinking lead off the side of the dock, even getting hung up on the dock at one point while we were there. That was enough for me to understand. Common courtesy goes a long ways with most people, but there’s not many people with courtesy left these days it seems.

I enjoy dock fishing as much as the next guy, but if there’s someone on their dock or even in the vicinity, I go elsewhere. I would hope people would do the same thing with me sitting on my dock.

Its certainly not your fault that this person put up these obstacles, but trust me, if they went through that effort, he’s had some major problems with people doing stupid things that probably caused him 1)headaches or 2)money. Probably best to leave him alone. There’s always other docks.

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

I get those points, and agree with the majority of them as well. If someone is utilizing their own dock I will keep moving although I have fished a dock off the ICW and shared bait with the homeowners and all before too. This place is a out of the wind hide out for me that didnt even have a house on it 2 years ago. We will both just have to learn to deal with each other. I can imagine some of the antics they have to deal with but not every guy with a boat and fishing rod is out to invade anyone privacy. Hell we would probably get along if we were to ever have conversation. I just dont want to let a little sniveling ruin a good time, for either of us. :+1:

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!

Life in the present, and only gonna get worse in our future. or so I believe. :smiley: At least you are good spirited about it! Sailfish had a good reply. The old schooler’s that have been here for years are not problem, it’s the new crowd moving in with the mentality that they own the water under their docks. IMO. I’ll never fish a dock with people on it, but some just get a boner if they see a boat near their dock. No matter that they do not own the water way.

Nope.
SECTION 54-13-30. Trespassing on privately owned docks unlawful; posting of notice.

It shall be unlawful, except as provided herein, for any person to trespass upon or attach a boat or other device to any privately owned dock erected along the shores of any public or private waters within this State. Provided, however, that no person shall be convicted under this chapter unless the owner of such dock has posted a notice in a conspicuous place thereon stating that “Trespassing on this Dock is Prohibited by Law.” Any person violating the provisions of this chapter shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be fined not less than twenty-five dollars nor more than one hundred dollars.

HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 54-431; 1968 (55) 3079.

SECTION 54-13-40. Certain rights not affected.

This chapter shall not be construed to prevent or to interfere with the right of any person, governmental body, commission or agency, and the licensees and franchisees thereof, from regulating or controlling any activities on the waters and appurtenant lands under the jurisdiction of such person, governmental body, commission or agency, and the licensees and franchisees thereof. No vested property right shall accrue under this chapter to any person in derogation of the ownership or rights of any person, the public, any governmental body, commission or agency, and the licensees and franchisees thereof.

HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 54-434; 1968 (55) 3079.